I am Me | Teen Ink

I am Me

By batondancetumble SILVER, Boone, Iowa
batondancetumble SILVER, Boone, Iowa

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
~Ayn Rand
Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.
~William James
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift. That’s why we call it the present.” – B. Olatunji

I dream of wild dreams. The most imaginative, frightening ones there are. I know of truths you may never know and I speak of wisdom beyond my years. Who am I?

I am me.

I eat my peppermint bark, once again dreaming my dreams. I see all your fears, your phobias, but not once do I see you. Your dreams are simple. I can decode them easily. Who am I?

I am me.

I do not get this world. All the woes they inflict upon themselves, asking others for help, seeing the world only in the way that can benefit them. The world is meant for all, not one. Who am I?

I am me.

The cat sits and watches, bathing itself in the golden sunlight. The dog scampers and barks, filling the glorious morn with its distorted sound. Who am I?

I am me.

I awaken from my slumber. The world is black. I am back in my hellish room, where my tortures await. I will for sleep, beg of it, but it does not come. Who am I?

I am me.

They come in. They do not scare me. I scare them. My power is mighty, uncontainable, but yet here I am, in this room, with them. Who am I?

I am me.

I do not have a name. I was never given one. I am genetically altered. I am special, as they say. I do not see the day nor do I feel the sunlight. I am in this room. The room is not me. Who am I?

I am me.

The tortures come. They do not hurt. I am used to them. They are the same everyday. They leave. They have left with death visiting. Death overcomes me. Who am I?

I am me.

I dream again of my dreams. I am dead. Yet I am alive. I am special, genetically altered. Who am I?

I am me.

I am myself.

I am I.