Feather Plucking | Teen Ink

Feather Plucking

By TheCapturedBat GOLD, Belen, New Mexico
TheCapturedBat GOLD, Belen, New Mexico

If all else perished and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger.
-- Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights

Pluck my breast bare
Tear out my hair
Preen to quiet the need
For coveted touch
Preen because it hurts
It hurts so much
Eyes turning to the frayed strand
Looking for pain
I'll make myself understand
But I have to look away
I have to tilt my head
And pluck my breast
Pull out feathers
To fill my empty nest
I need to line
The confines of my loneliness
With molted softness

I have a compulsion to pull my hair. It gets worse when I am depressed. In this poem I am trying to express my feelings by using the imagery of a bird plucking its feathers.

theloverofbooks SILVER, Valley Stream, New York
Again, like I said in your other poem, the emotion here is so raw and blatant, and here your voice demands attention even more. The way your words flow together is beautiful; I especially loved the ending: "Pull out feathers/ To fill my empty nest/ I need to line/ The confines of my loneliness/ with molted softeness." Wow. Just... wow.

OldYoungOne said...
When I read your poetry I always imagine hearing someone slowly speak it aloud. It flows over like music in to my ears (or in my brain) and I am taken into a dream. Wonderful job in expression.

StarlitSunrise DIAMOND, Clemmons, North Carolina

"Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing." ~Camille Pissarro

This is really quite powerful. I like the intelligent simplicity of your writing style. There is something very raw about it, but I can also tell that a lot of thought went in to writing it. In addition, I think you were able to get your point across very clearly. When I read this, I felt like I was there with you. Having struggled with a similar problem, I can honestly say that (at least for me) the feeling that you captured was almost inescapable. This is the sort of poem that forces one to empathize. Keep writing!

TheHerbArtist SILVER, Paradise, California
I really enjoyed this. I had to read it several times to fully understand it. Keep writing, your poetry is beautiful (: