A Recited Truth | Teen Ink

A Recited Truth MAG

I pledge allegiance
To the flag
Of the United States of America
And to the controversial culture for which it stands
One nation, under whatever deity you choose,
Indivisible since 1965,
With liberty and justice for all who can afford a decent lawyer.

sarahw said...
great satire :)

CM2011 said...
this is amazing! and it speaks the truth of america...sadly.

carrie002 said...
Why the heck is everything on this website so emo! i no our country is a little off balance right now but seriously people! we just got a new president and hopefully he will fix things up. You need some faith pills! but I have to say, the poem was written well.

I dissagree entirely. There may be flaws in our country, but we're still the greatest country in the world. Look, everything isn't perfect, and if all that you want to see is the bad side of everything, you'll find plenty of bad things. In contrast to what Puja 123 said, this is not what our country stands for. We stand for equality, and although the system doesn't work perfectly, I don't think that our country is that terrible of a place. If you'd like, you can take a trip to Darfur and see if you like that better! Also, we just elected the first african-american president, so I'm proud of my country for that. If you want to keep writing about how bad a country we are, that's fine, but don't forget that we are a great country.

TRUE, TRUE!!!! sometimes the truth hurts, but sadly, nobody will listen. That's why, after I turn 18, I'm going to move to canada. (american laws say you are your preant's responsibility [property =(] until you turn 18)

corynn said...
It's creative but if you have a problem with it then don't say it, but making it sound like America sucks & isn't making anything better.

musicsMYLIFE said...
Just like every other school in america after we listen to annoncements we say the pledge. Everyone in my homeroom says it. Except me. I'm sorry. I can't say something that I don't believe is true. "One nation under god,indivisible with liberty and justice for all." There is no Justice for all in this country. If there were we wouldn't be saying that Obama is a terroist in disguise. We wouldn't be still racist down in the deep south and we wouldnt yell an gay people and deny them the right to marriage and happiness. Now you tell me you can honestly say you can say the pledge of alligence and beilieve every word is true.

Sunshine said...
true true true! keep it up!

tweedle dee said...
i just wanted to comment on what sexyhunk said, that if we dont realize the truth then we cant fix it. and sometimes we need help seeing the truth, thank you very much.

ALilCrazy said...
This is really cool and true. I don't enjoy pledging to the flag when what we're pledging isn't true.

Pretty truthful!

Vikreddy said...
Truth to the point.

Meryl Chew said...
I don't ever say the pledge, because I had the way it sounds...yours is beautiful and true. Thankyou.

msherif198 said...
i really liked this piece! i think im going to start saying this Pledge instead of the original. GOOD JOB!

bigboi295 said...
great poem truly tells how america i rep'd today

b-girl said...
i loved it so much it's alot better then are real pledge im going to lean it and say it instead of are actual pledge in school

sexyhunk said...
this is insulting to america and because of this the terrorists are winning!

Tweedle Dee said...
ouch your truth hurts. but it was great and true i think everyone should read this. awesome job!

smiles:] said...
Oh my goodness this was very clever and absolutely original. I love it!i never would have thought of this and it's sooo true! Amazing job :)

Puja123 said...
This was really a true representation of what America really stands for. Great Job!!