Haibun for the Restless | Teen Ink

Haibun for the Restless

December 7, 2012
By Cinnabelly GOLD, Toledo, Ohio
Cinnabelly GOLD, Toledo, Ohio
10 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”


Some gray and rainy day, when you sit, idly by your lonesome. With nothing to do but imagine possibilities of what could be; on a different day. Your willing to do anything for a little excitement, a spark of life. A beacon of light through this gray and rainy day. Pulsing through the fog and the grog. Then you think, I'll invite a friend over, well do something spectacular, something crazy and unrefined. You'll do anything with your friends, as soon as there is a dare, double dare, double dog dare! Sneaking out at night, cupcake fights with icing smeared across your chest, midnight prank calls in a certain closet. Watching horror movies until you could swear that they're real, jumping at the slightest creak or groan. Telling your most appalling secrets and baring your soul, leaving nothing unearthed. Eating the greasiest, fattiest, most incredulously delicious junk food. Singing at the top of your lungs to an obscure indie song, deafeningly off key. Living and breathing in, surrendering yourself to the night. Laughing like a hyena, you start to settle down. With a sinking feeling in your stomach, You suddenly remember, you forgot to lock the doors while sneaking back in. There is icing all over that desperately needs to be mopped up before it becomes a dried up, crumbling mess, or stains the new rugs. Suddenly you realize you're going to have to see all of your prank call victims Monday at school. They might not know it was you, but you'll know it was them. Now you're too scared to go lock the doors, afraid that a demon or terror of the night might just be lurking around, waiting for you. Suddenly your worried, what if I can't really trust them with all of my secrets, what if they tell? Suddenly you feel sick from all of the food that you've crammed into your mouth, from the lack of sleep. Your throat is dry, scratchy, it hurts from singing so much. If only you would have realized sooner, thought before you acted. Maybe this wouldn't have come on so suddenly.

Not thinking about
Tomorrow or the next day
Living without care


The author's comments:
A Haibun is not a commonly used form of literature but I like it. See if you can relate to this!