I Wish I Knew | Teen Ink

I Wish I Knew

By GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana
GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana

"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine

I wish I knew everything
Why true love turns out to be false
How brother and sister can hate each other
Why peace isn’t a real term
How people can turn away from the helpless
Why freedom isn’t free
How they take advantage of the giving
Why we hate
How we hate
And then sometimes I wish I knew nothing.

Kris_10 GOLD said...
Kris_10 GOLD, North Scituate, Rhode Island

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." -Theodore Roosevelt

I really like this! It isnt very specifc, but with poems like this, it needs to be becuase i can hear your voice through it. a good poem leaves you thinking when you walk away from it, and thats exactly what you did! 

ChobaniLuvinPenguin PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well."
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

Great poem! I especially love the irony and sadness of the last line! I just have one suggestion, the last line is longer than the two lines before it, so maybe you can just divide it in half. In other words, shorten the longer lines so that the lengths of every line in the poem are consistent. That would help them flow better. :)

3dancer SILVER said...
3dancer SILVER, Windsor, Colorado

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that we never were. But without it we go nowhere!"

This is a really good poem and has a great message! But if you want to make it better I would try to make it flow more. It's a little choppy. Try to make your poem have a specific beat for like every line. It will make it better over all. =)

Rolledthestone SILVER, Nowhere, Other

"You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." (Matthew 7:5) and "All the poeple who supported slavery were free, all the people who support abortion live..."

So true. People can be so stupid. We all "say" we feel for the poor but do we ever actually do anything? Does anyone ever do anything?! We're just lazy butts who never care about anything that doesn't directly effect us because we only believe what we see and never what might actually be true! Sry, I get carried away on a gust of wind on a stormy night...I'll stop.

-John Erslcine

Toche.,,,,

IMSteel BRONZE said...
IMSteel BRONZE, Wallhala, South Carolina

"Learn from Yesterday, live for Today, hope for Tomorrow" - Albert Einstein

"Brevity is the Soul of Wit" - The Which

Good wording, truthful, and to the point.  Just and opinion on somethin:  Peace is indeed a term, but one that people do not understand. 

-John Erslcine

Thanks for the advice.  It is appreciated. :)

PandaBearLouise16 BRONZE, Lyndonville, Vermont

LOUD NOISES!
I love lamp.....
IM KICKIN MY @$$ DOYA MIND???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its short, and perrrrrrrrrrfect :) ;)

AmayaEcho SILVER, York, Pennsylvania

"Stay strong."

The idea is great!  However, I struggle to find the flow. The majority of the poem is a list of things you wish you knew.  There isn't much to connect the items together.  Just something to think about.

-John Erslcine

I'm glad you liked it! And thank you for the suggestion! I like to hear what others think to improve my work. 

ClaireBearH PLATINUM, McLean, Virginia

It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.
Aristotle Onassis

Wow this is really good! So true and great ending. Its up to you, but i would suggest that you remove the word "sometimes" from the last line, then you make it more parallel with your first line.