This “I” | Teen Ink

This “I”

By SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other
SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

I
Sometimes wonder why
They say: I am, I was, I shall be
Beautiful, wonderful and powerful
I’ll go, I’ll know
I believe
I’ll pass
Through the sieve
That decides
Who’ll get attention
And who’ll suffer detention
I’ll be okay, I’ll find my way
A million wishes, A billion goals
Oh yes, this “I” may take thee
Straight on to thy true destiny
Yet so super selfish it seems to me
If we use it less often, then maybe
We’ll have the courage to say:
The world we live in
It’s beautiful, wonderful and powerful
For then it won’t be I
That it is all about

Sometimes I feel that if we all were a little less ego-centric in this selfish selfish era, things could be so much more beautiful....this is something we all need to do..One single person's action won't really work. It would only end up in that person getting hurt. Which I have. Do care about everyone and everything around you, whether you know them or not....

- Maya Angelou

What a wonderful surprise for you to come snooping around here :D Thank You for reading and the feedback just made me smile so wide. Thanks ever so much! And yes it is just great, also this is one of my only attempts at free-verse so for you to like it is amazing!

DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware

"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

Well, the slight rhyming anyway. Haha, I guess I just picked up on certain parts.

I'm deeply sorry it took me so long to read this, I was missing out! This is a great poem, the rhyming is incredible, as well as the flow (and indeed it did remind me of my poem). I feel like while I was reading it, I was hearing the rhythm right from you. It’s truly glorious when a reader can connect with the poet's style. Kudos! Stay writing!

- Maya Angelou

This was kinda like my first free verse..I only used to write rhyming poems before...TeenInk opened up a whole new world... :P

- Maya Angelou

WOW..really?? Thank You!

StarlitSunrise DIAMOND, Clemmons, North Carolina

"Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing." ~Camille Pissarro

This has to be one of my favorites! Your style here is remarkably different from so many of your other poems, but I love it! This came across as quite frank and honest—not at all accusatory. You show a lot of control in your writing.

- Maya Angelou

Sure, my pleasure... :)

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

No problem! xD I don't have anything specific I would like for someone to read...but you're welcome to look around xD

- Maya Angelou

I like'em too.... I am so happy that you read these.. :D  Thank YOu so much for your feedback....You want me to check out some specific article of yours??  :P

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Through the sieve That decides Who’ll get attention And who’ll suffer detention I really like those lines.  And you are right we're all a bit selfish...but I think you're right when you say we've become more selfish.  Great job! xD

- Maya Angelou

It sure does suck.... :((

EPluribusUnum DIAMOND, Woodbine, Maryland

"I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
I lift my lids and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head)."
-Sylvia Plath

I have to agree with this. Though your right, it sucks to be the only one making the sacrifice and baisically getting run over by all the people who'd rather not care.