wanderlust | Teen Ink

wanderlust

By migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

"Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present." --Marcus Aurelius

“You inherited the wanderlust
that my father gave to me; an incurable disease
but a lovely one.”

On the drive home
with my family and the wide world in the old white Ford Explorer,
shoulder to shoulder. Talking about our glory days,
when my mother and sisters and I would run around
free and perfect and poor
but alive,
playing loud music and driving fast
and laughing.
Talking about our dreams,
and it’s time for another road trip:
time
to get caught in another tornado,
to be the only humans on Earth at three am driving through Nowhere, New Mexico
to see another Bigfoot and fields of everything and strangers
time for the tire to blow out on the border,
to eat fried potatoes every night straight from the campfire and never get sick of it
to listen to the same five CDs for three years until they’re burned into our brilliant neurons forever,
to celebrate the Fourth of July in Canada
to skip school to drive to Anchorage and sleep in the car on top of Blueberry Hill
to love Seattle and the coast and the desert and Padre Island and everything on the way…
Talking on this drive,
fast approaching my mother’s husband and our ill-fitting permanence,
the concrete stuck fast in the ground and the snow
but above us
before us
and slightly to the east,
Orion twinkles
asking for our wanderlust
and our togetherness
again.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

I'm not sure if I read it yet. But I will now. And try to decipher it the best I can. Can't wait for the impossible poem. 

migwam ELITE said...
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

Well, in a way, it's really nice to have someone reading my poetry who understands so thoroughly my writing. Often, your comments (like on For Caf) reveal a part of my peotry that maybe I hadn't seen when I was writing it. Always keep an eye out for suprises within your own writing. Thaks for interpreting me so well.. and I will definitely get to work on that impossible poem! (have you read A Vision? I have a feeling that one might be a bit more abstract, even for you.)

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Challenge accepted. I dare you to try. But I will try day and night to unravel the meaning of your poetry even if you write it in heiroglyphics. I will not be dissuaded. And why do I get you? I think because most often I feel the same way aoubt certain things you write in your poetry. Most often we express the same thoughts and ideas; only you do it more elegantly; in my opinion better. I guess that's why. I dunno.

migwam ELITE said...
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

Dude, why do you get me? I'm going to make it, like, a personal challenge to write a poem that you don't understand completely. IF IT TAKES A LIFETIME I SWEAR IT SHALL BE SO.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Family devotion is something money can't buy; it's something you have to work everyday to possess. I love you show that in this poem. although it may not be exactly what you want to portray. But that's what I could ascertain. And all those description you use—darlin' *British accent* thank you for not being intimidated by them. I hate how some people don't use discriptions. It's what makes the poem or story.