I Am... | Teen Ink

I Am...

By SamanthaFaith BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
SamanthaFaith BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

"May the sun always shine on your windowpane; May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain; May the hand of a friend always be near you; May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you."
Irish Blessing

I am a voice of power, a light of trust, a code of mystery, a spell of magic placed in this world.
I wonder why the evil witches cast malicious spells on others.
I hear their snarky, vicious laugh. The laugh crawls into my head every night. I am trapped and stirred in their boiling green soup.
I see others begging for a healing potion for their grief, others don't even care. But me?
I want to extend my hand out to help everyone. Few grasp it, but most throw my hand down. What's the point in even trying?
I am an interpreter translating different languages of my life.

I pretend to walk the streets nonchalantly without noticing the evil surrounding me.
I feel pain shoving me in every corner. Society piles itself with ache, misery, suffering, anguish, torture, agony – death.
I touch the prickly thorns in the stem of life, but I never realize the beautiful rose petals above it all.
I worry that I will one day lose the curiosity of a child. The child inside of me. The thought of my Mr. Hyde never coming back is devastating.
I cry when the reality of life smashes the innocent eyes of young.
I am an actress performing different stages of my life.

I understand the goodness of this world is out there. It’s a manner of finding it in the simplest blade of grass or the smallest grain of sand.
I say, “Whether it’s simple or complex, it’s a person’s job to find the rest.”
I dream of world peace full of children holding hands skipping around a playground.
I try to love the people around me the most. They are in my heart and I embed them in my soul.
I hope I find the meaning of life. I search through the grasslands and over the mountains and across the deserts and within the jungle. Not Man vs. Wild; Man vs. Life.
I am a teacher learning different perspectives of my life.

This was a song of myself that my language arts teacher assigned to me and my classmates. I hope you enjoy it.