Self-Healing | Teen Ink

Self-Healing

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

I have tried for years—
honestly, I have
yet in vain—
to speak of the most clandestine
secrets and mysteries
all my own,
the treasured dreams,
and wraths safely stored.
But talking about it
doesn’t work:
my mouth goes dry,
I sweat and panic—
I know that secretly
they’re all judgmental.

But, as I write,
the words come unbidden from the heart
like ripe fruit from trees.
No one judges
for no one knows.

Here, the open scars
dry and disappear,
the blue and black bruises
fade one by one,
and the old wounds
heal by themselves.
Here, I apply the healing serum
to the bleeding scars,
the bandages to the raw cuts,
and the tourniquets to the
incessant bleeding.

Therapy has never healed me—
it never will;
but writing about it
has—and ALWAYS WILL.

Writing is therapy to me. No one judges me for what I am or write. Only you readers tell me if my writing is good or not; but you don't judge my choices or lifestyle. This is an edited version of the same I've posted earlier.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Sorry for not thanking you sooner; knda got side-tracked a bit these days. Anyways, thank you for your comment. 

OldYoungOne said...
Love the imagery and Im excited that my fellow writer shares the same ideas about love as do i.  Well done.   Sorry for not rtf sooner I had a little trouble with my computer... its cheap.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you. I'm happy to know there are others who feel the same way I do about writing. I think without writing I'd go crazy. 

TheSkyOwesMeRain GOLD, Irvine, California

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments which take your breath away.

You are only as strong as your weakest link.

I feel the same way you do about writing as a form of therapy! And I especially love the powerful images you use in this poem (ex. the tourniquets stopping the bleeding). Great job!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you.

thatunknownthing DIAMOND, Dubai, Other

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why they call it the present"

How I totally agree with you on this! and this poem's nicely written too! keep going !

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I'm so happy whne readers can relate to my work. It's the greatest feeling a writer—especially an amateur like myself—can feel. Thanks for relating to this poem. Means everything to me. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

THANK YOU! :) That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me. You've hust made my day—hell, my whole year! Thank you. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Yes, I know what you mean. Thanks for commenting. 

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Hi, I could read your poems forever and never get bored. I read some of your work yesterday and I am so impressed by the way that you write. You truly are an amazing writer. I wish I could write half as well as you! I completely agree with everything you say in this poem. It is so relatable! I love the last part of this poem! Amazing. Xx!

laurengerhard SILVER, South Windsor, Connecticut

"I am gone quite mad with the knowledge of accepting the overwhelming number of things I can never know, places I can never go, and people I can never be." -Sylvia Plath

Writing is therapy to me as well... I like seeing my thoughts finally articulated, even if I'm the only one who understands them.