$50 Cologne | Teen Ink

$50 Cologne

By LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico
LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Lipstick stains and a messy french braid,
the smell of coffee and a full ashtray.
You’re probably missing the mini bar, I would stop and ask you how you are.
But, it’s been how long since I smelt your $50 cologne?
I could drown myself in your deep brown locks.
I loved how angry you’d get when I made fun of your stupid crocks.
You and I are just a polaroid pushed up against glass in a frame on my dresser.
My mom tells me to throw it away, it’s only torture.
I don’t see it like that, do you? Was my sweater in your closet?
Remember when your $50 cologne got on it and I made you wash it?
The other day I saw your brother, he hugged me and I only thought of you.
The color your face got when he hugged me, you were blue.
I always knew that he liked me and apparently so did you.
I asked him how he was and he didn’t really answer.
He said he was doing just fine and that it’d been a long time since he brought up me and you.
It made me sad, why would he say something like that?
His sweater was red and it reminded me of the color of your bed. The way my lipstick seemed to blend and mix with the cotton of your sheets.
He didn’t smell like your $50 cologne. He smelled like captain morgan.
That’s your favorite, I know you adored it.
I hate the smell of it and I hate it’s taste, but sometimes I drink it to take the pain of you and I away.
I have your half empty bottle of $50 cologne still right next to your prescribed pills.
The orange bottle with the child proof cap was always missing way too many.
I can’t believe you did that, can’t believe you left me.
There was no note, just your bottle of $50 cologne.
Your mom said that I should have it and sometimes I just spray it out of habit.
I wish you were here but you’re up in heaven.
I miss you and your cologne from isle eleven.

The important thing here is that you take what you will from this and not what I tell you!

MissExploration BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington

It Can Only Fly When It Needs To.

So sweet! I love how you made the $50 Cologne connect to the emotions and everything the narrator remembers.  This small token the narrator has, shows so much of her feelings. I like how you branched out this small thing to so many different memories. Great job!!

Hey there! Thank you! And thankfully this is only fictional!

nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Okay, I read this a while back and haven't been able to get it out of my head! I gotta ask, is this just fictional or is this something that happend to you/a loved one?...Hope that's not to personal of a question...

on Jun. 4 2013 at 9:41 am
nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

I liked the story to it. The heart ache. At first you make the reader think this is the poetic narritive of just another girl with a broken heart but then it turns out he died and that is why her heart is broken.Then you feel sympothetic and you like it.

SimplyErica SILVER, San Marcos, California

"Love is something unconditional. It continues to live even when everything dies." - By Me ♥

I feel you. I can relate to this poem a lot and it's amazingly written! (: Good job, keep it up.

Metalhead08 GOLD, Port Republic, Maryland

"I'd rather hate you for everything you are. Than ever love you for something you are not. " FFDP "You're born alone and you die alone" FFDP "I wonder out where you can't see, inside my shell I wait and bleed." Slipknot " If youre 555 then I am 666"

OH MY WORD! This poem is so well written :) A very powerful piece, and very touching towards the 6 senses. it created sight, sound, touch, smell, feel, and just WOW! Amazing Job! :) i loved this!

Court901 BRONZE, Magnolia, Texas

"Imagniation is not a talent of some people, but it is the health of every person" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wow! That was sad. I think it's really good, although it confused me a bit at the beginning about the sweater. It seemed like it switched subjects too fast. But that may just be me. I really like this poem.

kikixkupkake GOLD, San Marcos, California

"The things that walk out when we open our minds." -Dylan McCoy

Wow, this is amazing! I honestly was very surprised at the ending, I figured they had broken up. I love her thoughts and how she remembers the little things. I mean, it's the little things that count anyways, yeah? this poem is truly fantastic

ChocolateLove SILVER, Warsaw, Other
Who was the inspiration of this amazing poem?

ChocolateLove SILVER, Warsaw, Other
Simply amazing :) love what you did with the rhymes

Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

Wow, the ending brought me to tears. I never thought that was possible. I love this piece!

Wings10FeetTall GOLD, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

May your words be sharp.
- Christopher Paolini

Nobody's going to wait for you, so do it now.
-Ingrid Michaelson

Broken hearts heal, but never the same.
- Jessica Romo

Idiots rely on luck.
-Sherlock Holmes

This is yet another amazing poem. It flows beautifully.

LexiDawn SILVER, Sanford, North Carolina

"My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations."

"It was books that me made feel that, perhaps, I was not completely alone."

Loved this<3 The entire time I was reading I thought he has just left her but the ending was like-----> Woah :O

Someone2know BRONZE, Council Bluffs, Iowa

Dont let your insecurities ruin the beauty you were born with.(:

Great Poem : )

jess14 BRONZE said...
jess14 BRONZE, New York, New York

"We accept the love we think we deserve"

wow this is so amazing. i have always felt so jelous of the people who can make their poems rhyme cuz it always brings a whole diff element to the poem! great job, the end end was so heartbreaking 

lily_sings GOLD, Felton, Pennsylvania

Hope is the thing with feathers, it perches in the soul, and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all. -Emily Dickinson

The way you wrote this piece left a feeling of rawness in my heart...I can nearly feel the heartache that this poem exudes. Excellent job. The wording is a little uneven (?) at some points, but I kind of feel like that contributes to the message of the poem.

michaeln123 BRONZE, Cedar Park, Texas

The world is like a ride at an amusement park. It goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it’s very brightly coloured and it’s very loud and it’s fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, “Hey – don’t worry, don’t be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride…” But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok. Jesus – murdered; Martin Luther King – murdered; Malcolm X – murdered; Gandhi – murdered; John Lennon – murdered; Reagan… wounded. But it doesn’t matter because: It’s just a ride. And we can change it anytime we want. It’s only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money. A choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love, instead, see all of us as one. Here’s what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money that we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.

Love this, i could see everything in my head and it made me feel the details as if i were you! Check Out my work if you have time - thanks

SarahGrac3 said...
SarahGrac3, Rockford, Michigan
I really enjoyed reading this it was great! At a couple of parts I wish it would have flowed a little more smoothly but overall the storyline was great:)

mistaken_laughter PLATINUM, Alvin, Texas

"There are three rules to writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are." W. Somerset Maugham

Yo, This was great :) I really enjoyed that it balanced her wistfully reminiscing with a bitter edge. It portrayed the feeling well along with a story in only a short time. Great job!

Helena_Noel BRONZE, Burnt Hills, New York

“I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day; I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way: The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear, fine counsel is confusing, but example's always clear.” -Edgar Guest

Interesting work. The detail is astounding, and really draws you in. The whole time i was a little bitter, both at the girl and the guy, she for complaining and he for leaving, but he was dead... the whole time he was dead.... it had a very strong effect, holding that back til, the end. All the little details that id clung to began to look a little sarper, make a little more sense, too. This is good! Nice work, ya have talent :)