Where I'm From | Teen Ink

Where I'm From

By estucker1998 PLATINUM, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
estucker1998 PLATINUM, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

The voracious ambition of humans is never sated by dreams coming true, because of the thought that everything may be done better and again. --John Green, The Fault in Our Stars.

(based off of "Where I'm From" by George Ella Lyon)

I am from pencils and journals,
From Peanut Butter Cap’n Crunch
And Smuckers strawberry jam.

I am from the small looking cottage,
Bigger on the inside than out,
As large a lawn as possible,
Smelling of fresh cut grass on a Saturday morning.

I am from the purple azalea,
The tall, thin pine tree,
Whose cones I used as ammunition.

I am from Sunday lunch at Nan’s and sarcastic jokes,
From Bairds and Hills and Tuckers.

I am from the latecomers and late sleepers,
And all around comedians and musicians,
From always be yourself and you can be anything you want to.

I am from the cross,
Big bows and fancy dresses,
Frilly socks that have to be just right,
And doodling on the donation cards.

I’m from Tuscaloosa and Scotland,
Creamed corn and home fried chicken.

From the unknown hero that was my grandfather at the creek,
And the car that hit his son one April Sunday morning.

I am from the ever-growing pile of scrapbooks,
Bursting with pictures and notes.
Who I am.
Where I’m from.

This is what makes me-well-me. What makes you, you? Where are you from?

Feel free to rate and comment!

thisisascreenname BRONZE, Sugarloaf, California
This was really beautiful. I don't even know what else to say.  

Thank you!  By the way, I have a new poem up called "Shadows" that I would love for you to read. 

Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

So I, unlike you and Lexus, am not from Alabama but from New York. I'm pretty sure that they are pretty different. Never mind that, you piece was awesome. Though I couldn't relate to everything, the feeling that I got from this poem was: I belong. So I can pretty much get the feeling that you belong somewhere. Oh and the part about your Grandfather,so moving. Like Lexus said, the ending is perfect. This is funny because I literally just submitted a poem called I Am From about all the things that make up ME! Anyway, great job. Keep rockin Elizabeth

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Hey there! So, I poured my heart and soul into commenting on this like two days ago and it never posted and I got so angry that I have not tried again until now. Well, me also being from Alabama I can completely relate to all of the things you put in here, but I think that even if I weren't from there I would be able to relate. The smells, feelings, sounds, everything you put into these come to the reader so easily. You do a great job with visuals in all of your writings and I am so impressed. I love the way this flows though it does not rhyme. I love the way you describe the outside, how cozy. How pretty. I love the pine tree stanza where you describe the cones as ammunition! That was so brilliant! It made this innocent and fun. I love the way you included all the last names! It made me laugh that you put late sleepers in here, because when I lived there everyone got up so early whether it be to go feed all the animals or whatever. And after moving away I finally starting sleeping in, haha. I was just so used to getting up early. I love the way you put that southern fling in here, the hospitality there is wonderful. I love how you include  a story into two lines in the stanza where you discuss your grandfather. And I love the ending. It was a good way to sum it up. Good job as always!