To Someone I Thought I Knew...But Didn't | Teen Ink

To Someone I Thought I Knew...But Didn't

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

I always knew you
were a figment of my dreams,
a perfect being
created by my
whimsical fancy—
I always knew,
for my heart begged
me to believe,
but I would not heed;
for once, I refused
to accept the naked truth,
the reality everyone else
could see and pointed out
for me—yet I ignored,
believing your lies
like the only truth in life.

So I flung myself
from the cliff,
hoping you'd be there
to catch me
like you promised me
everyday (I too vowed
the same for you—
I still do)—
but you never caught my
flightless body; and I fell
like Alice through the
rabbit hole; yet all
that greeted me beneath
were jagged stones that fit
perfectly into the void you
left behind.

And all I could think before
the stone cracked my skull
was, "Where are you?"
Until, I realized you
were never truly there
to catch me.

This is the response of I Want You There. This literally happened. It's personal...for once.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thanks. That means a lot to me. Writing this poem was awfully difficuly. Because I had to go back and probe in areas I wanted to leave alone forever. And thank you for the suggestion. I'll see what I can do with it in the future. I want to keep working on it. And I appreciate your input in it. Don't feel bad for giving suggestions. I take them all. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Hahahaha. Thanks, Ride-or-Die-Krasota. I'll do the same for you. Just that my hair is already black. So, I guess it'll be an excuse to go blond. Except my skin's too tan to look natural. Fugitives. 

thatunknownthing DIAMOND, Dubai, Other

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why they call it the present"

Wow. I have felt this before, only that you've put it into so gracefully into words, I'm awed. "the void you left behind",  and "my heart begged me to believe" were incredily creative lines. Do you think the end would have sounded better without "to catch me" with just "you were never truly there." ? Just a suggestion. But great work! I'm, as I said, awed by this one. 

Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

Haha nah I won't punch you, but I have no qualms about getting in trouble on your behalf XD All I have left to do is pick out the nearest gas station to dye my auburn hair black, and then I'm fully prepared for the fugitive life >:D jkjk

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I so think it could have used more emotion. I agree. As I was editing it. I thought this could be more personal. But at the point, when I was writing this, it was all so fresh. And like I was expecting it already. Like I wasn't surprised. Also, like I was accepting it for once. I kind of took it all stoically. *tries to feel my non-existent heart's pulse* meh. I'm happy, in a sad way—sappy way—that you can relate to this. I appreciate it. And I'm preparing for that soiree too. Dunno when it shall be. But it must happen; that's for sure. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thanks. I appreciate your concern. As soon as I discover this person's true identiry, I'll let you know. Yet I fear you'll get into too much trouble on my behalf. But thanks, anyway. For the feedback too. *takes one slow step away from Krasota in case she punches me* 

Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

Welcome to my world! A constant battle if wether to trust this person or not. And when you finally find that perfect friend, the one you always dreamed of, they fail to pull through leaving you..... falling. Amazing poem. I love the comparison between Alice and you and I am so sorry for this and i know exactly how you feel McKay. It sucks. Trust me i have been their multiple times: waging wars between myself and them. And I like how its personal, we really get a sense of you. I loved the imagery, however, i thought that the emotion throughout the piece could have been...... More emotional. I know what this pain feels like.... All to well, and i would have liked to see that a little bit more. But besides that: congrats on creating a relatable poem, that is really good ;) that's all for now mckay. Keep rockin. {Ps: I've been listening to a lot of Florence lately, getting ready for our party in Paris :)}

Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

I like the comparison between Alice in Wonderland and you falling. I'm really sorry about this though, and I shall punch whoever did this and split their lip. Anyways, I love your descriptions in here! :D Have a nice day!