Addict | Teen Ink

Addict

By StarlitSunrise DIAMOND, Clemmons, North Carolina
StarlitSunrise DIAMOND, Clemmons, North Carolina

"Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing." ~Camille Pissarro

I have drunk
But I don't drink
And I have slept
But I can't sleep

I'm not traped
I'm only bound
I search for silence
Yearn for sound

There's hope in drugs
And peace in hate
I'm weak in will
And scared of fate

You said that love
Is letting go
But without chains
What do you know?

The flow and play of words is clever. Beautifully written. Keep up the good work.

TheMaskedPoet SILVER, Temple, Georgia

"I wish I could be a little less dramatic, like a Kennedy when Camelot went down in Flames." -Miranda Lambert

This is really great. I know how this can feel, ot from addiction but other things that you don't really wanna hear about. I really love the last stanza where it says you don't go through this, so you don't know even though you may think you do. I really love the peace in hate line in the third stanza too. The oppisites working together is reall amazing. I love this poem!

Thanks! I'm glad you could relate

Oh my, I can't believe I missed that typo. Thanks for pointing it out! :) And thanks a ton for taking the time to offer your feedback on this. ^.^

Thanks a ton! :) It means so much to me that you liked it. ^.^

Thank you so much! That really means a lot to me. :)

AnnieKate GOLD said...
AnnieKate GOLD, Centerville, Utah
Oh my goodness, I love this so much. The whole thing is almost like a self war, yet they know exactly what's happening....just like addiction. I don't think there's a better way to put that into words. Fantastic! You're amazing!

rachelmuschett GOLD, Goose Creek, South Carolina

"heaven's not a place that you go when you die. it's that feeling in time when you feel alive."

Love the whole contradictionary theme going on throughout the whole poem! And it's true. Sometimes people feel that way.  The difference in between what you want and what it is you have is explained perfectly in this poem. Short and simple, but gets the point across. love it!

Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

I love the parallelism you had in here. I also like the rhetorical question in there; it's nice and sassy :D My only suggestion is that I think you meant "trapped" instead of "traped." Otherwise, great job! :D

OldYoungOne said...
I love the contradicting elements in this poem that outline addiction. Many people, including myself, feel this way about ccertain things. Whether it is drugs or love.

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

haha, no problem :P

Thank you! It means a ton to me that you would take the time to read that closely into it. :)

Thank you so much! I am so glad you liked it. :)

midnightwoah said...
midnightwoah, Monett, Missouri

"We accept the love we think we deserve." -Stephen Chbosky

Could not have said it better. When things looked hopless people try to numb themselves to evalutate the pain. Perfect stanzas! :^)

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

― Charles Bukowski

The conflict in this poem is what makes it so interesting. What you want to feel and what you actually feel--how addiction works. And all the while resenting the people who pretend they know how you feel, and they try and give advice. Amazing :) I really like it.