it was written on my skin | Teen Ink

it was written on my skin

By Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana
Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

these walls are high and they
are thick
but if the same goes for my skin, why have I
let so many needles pierce
me,
people think I can roll with the punches, but I
am bruised,
the tips scroll up and down and around my arms
my legs
the side of me and inside of me,
the ink runs in
my veins,
words they have carved into me that will not fade
and cannot be
removed
even if their owners are long-gone;
left to bear the shame
and the
sweet times, if few and far in between;
the most painful of the
ink
was probably the one over my heart, the one
that was written:
I love you

TheMaskedPoet SILVER, Temple, Georgia

"I wish I could be a little less dramatic, like a Kennedy when Camelot went down in Flames." -Miranda Lambert

This poem is really amazing and the last line is my favorite... You may of done it for a reason, but I wish you would've evened out the lines a little bit. i'D GIE IT A 4/5.

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

― Charles Bukowski

Nah, you're right on the mark with that :P haha. It was about the memories that people leave on you, and the impression they make. Thanks for reading! :)

Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

I truly appreciate this poem, not only for the message, but especially for that last line about the tattoo that said "I love you." I feel like (correct me if I'm wrong) that you didn't mean that to be an actual tattoo written in ink on the narrator's skin. I feel like instead that this was an invisible mark made by another person, maybe someone that broke the narrator's heart. And even if I'm wrong about it (that it was an actual tattoo that you were writing about), I think that those lines are absolutely stunning. Awesome job on this poem :D