seven twenty | Teen Ink

seven twenty

By migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

"Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present." --Marcus Aurelius

we hit a moose this morning,
seven twenty, just like that, like
coffee in my lap,
the window on the passenger side
exploded without warning,
and I blacked out, woke up, thought I was
dead because I couldn't breathe,
couldn't make a sound,
didn't have any air
and time didn't slow down
there was glass in my hair
and my mother was saying my name, when I
came to all I could do was yell,
what the f*** what the f*** what the f***,
there were a thousand colours in that shattered
second between the normalcy and the terror,
the horror, the ache, shaking hands, bite your lip
scream silently that everyone is alright
and the rearview mirror had flown
into my lap, wires hanging out, glass broken
black plastic in my hand and I'm taking
this as a definitive sign
not to look back,
because I can't;

the rearview mirror is broken.

migwam ELITE said...
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

Haha. It most definitely happened. I wrote this just two hours after... still flooded with adrenaline. Phew.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Driving can be so scary because you never know when something like this will happen to you. Although, moose really aren't a problem here in VA, pehaps deer, yes...and people all the more. I had one incident where a car was hit by another one, and the car that got hit looked like it was going to flip onto mine. Scared the h*ll out of me. Luckily, eveything was fine...as well as eveyone. Nonetheless, scary. The emotion and suspense you create are visible. (By the way, did this really happen?) It also reminds me for whatever reason about the Coldplay music video for "The Scientist". I love the line what the f*** what the f*** what the f***. Because that's all you could do when you realized what happened. Same happens to me. I can't realize fully what happens. Instead I freak out. And the last line is like a final sting to it all. It's like after you freak the h*ll out, you finally realized Holy sh*t! this is for real! Stunning piece of poetry. Congrats, my friend, on another Editors' Choice.