Closets are for Clothes | Teen Ink

Closets are for Clothes

By PoetAndYouKnowIt PLATINUM, Westfield, New Jersey
PoetAndYouKnowIt PLATINUM, Westfield, New Jersey

"There will always be someone who is smarter than you. Skinnier than you. Stronger than you. More popular than you. There will always be someone better than you, but there will never be someone who is YOU."

Closets are for clothes, my mother once said,
nobody should be afraid to be themselves
sit in hiding, wishing they were dead.

When she told me that, I didn’t understand what she had meant,
those words just stuck in my head like a block of cement.
she told me that’s okay,
just don’t you forget.

Then one day I was lying in bed,
finally, I had realized what she had said
closets are for clothes…
and then, I froze.

What could I say, what could I do?
Nobody cared, nobody listened;
oh, but the words, they stuck like glue.

It’s never too late
we must take action,
closets are for clothes,
and don’t you forget.

Gay rights supporter. Don't hate please. These words have always stuck with me, even years later. Closets are for clothes...and don't you ever forget!

Aw thank you so much! It is such an honor to receive feedback from you, as you are such a talented writer. You have such a nondeseipt talent that I admire greatly. Thanks again and good luck!

DreamersJourney SILVER, Old Massett, Other

"The best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing you can do is the wrong thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing."
"Decide to have an attitude of gratitude, you can become bitter or better."
"beYOUtiful, everyone else is taken."

I completely love this! Your writing's on point, you've used a nice rhyme scheme, and you present you message cleverly. Well done!

Thank you SOOOO much! You just made my day! And yeah, I tried really hard to express my feelings on this topic in a poem format. I have been writing a lot about gay rights if you are interested, click on my name. Thank you again, good luck with everything!!

lovie said...
I love this aurthors ability to express him/herself. The aurthor  digs deep , allowing the audiance to expierence the same feelings and emotions as the aurthor. Iam sure we can all agree that this world needs alot of mending. If we all do our personal best to make a better world, one with out discrimination, then the world will change.