to a boy about a girl | Teen Ink

to a boy about a girl

By migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

"Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present." --Marcus Aurelius

i am thinking of the two of you
side by side-
she is small and soft where you are a long straight line
someone drew on my life a few christmases ago
when i was new and beautiful and
entirely unprepared.
each of you have my
love tattooed on your lives,
and i'm sorry if i have stained or smarted.

i told her about the secret
lights i listen for when i miss you,
drowning myself in sweet steam and dreaming
of a way to retain the simplicity
of being young and adored.

she understood.
there is not much she doesn't understand.

you would love her for her joy,
i think, and for her old soul,
for her bravery.
here, you would say, is a girl
who has seen a war
and danced through the rubble
on bleeding feet,
her eyes shining,
her hands open and clean.

migwam ELITE said...
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

It is just love. Just life. Setting the two people whose love, out of all that in my experience so far, is most exquisite, beside each other. You may guess that Ciaran is one of these. This is essentially a little aside to him, thinking about the reasons he may approve of the more recent and equally beautiful human for whom I have that same level of affection, even though it's been a few years now, and experience and cynicism has made it more difficult for me to love anyone so dearly.   An interesting note on your last sentence- I don't know how much you know about philisophy, but you reminded me of John Locke. Very simply, he claimed that humans are inherently good, and our experience on Earth makes us evil. Thomas Hobbes insisted on quite the opposite, that humans are basically machines, our thoughts and emotions governed by basic physics and chains of cause and effect rather than some sort of spiritual thing, and all our actions are motivated by keeping ourselves out of pain and pursuing our own self-interests. I very often wonder which of these schools of thought I lean more towards.    Anyway. You just reminded me. There's your little today-I-learned for the day. Haha.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

I would love it if you shared some insight about this. (Heck, on of all of them. But I can't do that.) I feel like there's something in there, in the midst of these jeweled words, something deeper and bare. An emotion that some of us have felt. Your imagery stuns me—always. The innocence of childhood is pictured perfectly. Adults and society stain the ermine white inonocence of a child. Children are never born prejudiced; we make them that way, infiltrating their pure minds with our disgustting hate.