My Friend, Death | Teen Ink

My Friend, Death

By Canadotas PLATINUM, Harrisonburg, Virginia
Canadotas PLATINUM, Harrisonburg, Virginia

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” --Albert Einstein

He waits for me
Under his dark cloak of time
I see him smiling
Inviting me.

I first saw him three years ago
He appeared in my reflection
My friends, my family, my grades and hobbies
He was everywhere.

I turned and found him in medication bottles
Knives and blades
He waited at the bottoms of bridges
Smiling up at me as my feet began to slip

I saw him on Jon’s arms
The attempt of joining him marked by scars
And the cloaked man’s grasp
Leaving streaks of regret

I saw him on my doctor’s face
As he told me to get surgery
And said those dreadful words
“You have cancer”

I saw him in the hospital
While being fed his pleasure in chemotherapy
His own face so close to mine
His fingers on my throat

My inhales are his exhales
I stare into his empty eyes
The things he has seen, souls he has collected
I would not be one of them

I have seen him too many times
In sixteen years, he has longed for me
And each time I see him beckoning
I smile and walk away

Longlegs GOLD said...
Longlegs GOLD, Greeneville, Tennessee
Awesome! It's so well-written.

on Jun. 20 2014 at 10:11 am
EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

This is great and beautiful. Thank you, for sharing this.

Luv4Ever SILVER, Jacksonville, Florida

A miracle is just another name for hard work
-Minho in "To The Beautiful You"

Another amazing piece full of emotion

HudaZav SILVER said...
HudaZav SILVER, Toronto, Other

"Nothing is impossible; the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

The last line was very good and powerful. Briliant use of imagery, I could see it playing in my head like a movie. Good job! :D

Nobuo GOLD said...
Nobuo GOLD, Dio, Missouri

Hello

This is very heart warming

SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Okay so you HAVE read it ;) OH and You did have cancer. I actually believed at first that perhaps it was a poem you'd written from someone else's perspective. The being personal makes it all the more amazing. And I can't imagine what you might have had to go through nor am I ever any good at relieving anyone's pain but know that I wish to and this was kind of a hopeless try to do so.

- Maya Angelou

This was brilliant. I think I must apologize for coming here so late but really I think in the end the whole wait and then read was completely worth it. And now before saying anything I must ask HAVE you read the Book Thief? I recently read it and it seems to me that whereever I see death I see how That guy would say something of a taunt to our humanish perceptions of him. Also you see he said "I am haunted by humans" however in your poem you've made it out so that it was the other way around and I liked that perspective too. Your descriptions of the surroundings were vivid. I also admired how you made death seem more than an entity but somewhat of a condition despite the personification. wow

OldYoungOne said...
At first I began reading this poem thinking it was another depressing story about well, depression but it really surprised  me towards the end. I like the overall concept of seeing death and not letting that image get to. Very well executed and organized.

Yeah, I was diagnosed with testicular cancer nine days before my sixteenth birthday. It was a bit of a hard time, but I had amazing support from all of my friends and loved ones. After three sessions of chemotherapy, I was done with my treatment, and I've been in remission ever since :)

Bay_Renee SILVER, Brinkhaven, Ohio

"Kites rise the highest when going against the wind."
-Winston Churchill

This is beautiful... Honestly, really wonderfully written and you captured the essence of your topic really well. I absolutely cannot write poetry, but I love reading and studying it, and this piece really struck me. You are very talented- brought tears to my eyes, especially with the last line. It's so quietly powerful- I can't even describe it!

Thank you very much! And I don't know. I recently read it and I LOVE that book, so yeah, probably a bit. But thanks again!

411Ellie PLATINUM, Fridley, Minnesota

"Paper is more patient than people." –Anne Frank

Did you draw inspiration from The Book Theif?

411Ellie PLATINUM, Fridley, Minnesota

This poem is utterly amazing! The stanza  "I saw him on Jon’s arms The attempt of joining him marked by scars And the cloaked man’s grasp Leaving streaks of regret" was particularly striking. Don't EVER stop writing! You have a gift! 5/5!!! 

Paradisaically BRONZE, Charlottesville, Virginia

"I taught you to fight and to fly, what more could there be?" - J.M Barrie

This poem is extremely strong!  I like how vivid it is and I can really feel what is happening.  Great job!!

Eshshah PLATINUM, Galloway, New Jersey

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." -Robert Frost

This is so beautiful, yet very chilling. 5 stars :)

AprilNicoleJones BRONZE, New Castle, Indiana

"I write only because
there is a voice within me
that will not be still."
~ SYLVIA PLATH

(MY FORMER ACCOUNTS: Icantwrite & Punk.Snowflake)
Published poems from my former accounts:
- FRAIL HOPE (Icantwrite)
- YOURSELF (Punk.Snowflake)

This poem brought tears to my eyes, it's really so beautiful. You do a great job of personifying Death and showing all of the objects and people you see him in. Some parts of it remind me of suicide. I really enjoyed this. (By the way, did you really have cancer?)

Thank you so much!!

SophiaD11 PLATINUM, Kissimmee, Florida

"Intelligence without ambition is like a bird without wings."-Salvador Dali

I found this poem really beautiful and eye-opening. The line "While being fed his pleasure in chemotherapy" really resonated with me! I applaud your talent!!

Aw, wow, that truly means a lot. I really appreciate that!

wordtea GOLD said...
wordtea GOLD, Delhi, Other

'All men shall die.'- A Clash of Kings
'We accept the love we think we deserve.'- The Perks of Being a Wallflower
'Sometimes people are beautiful. Not in looks. Not in what they say. Just in what they are.'- The Book Thief

I just read this and I'm crying. This is perfect, and a very beautiful poem. Thank you so much for writing this.