Devil's Advocate | Teen Ink

Devil's Advocate

By ShelbyNicolex SILVER, Boca Raton, Florida
ShelbyNicolex SILVER, Boca Raton, Florida

After every dark night, there's a brighter day.

It'll be over soon he says, but you know it won't
This war inside your head will never be over, when you step outside the world looks like a battlefield
And you feel like a soldier on his way to Afghanistan
Words left unsaid, beds left made perfectly to cover up the horrors of the night before when nobody could hear your screams
When you cried out for God but He didn't come and you prayed to Him every night but He never answered
You did everything right, why am I being punished you wonder as he forces his way inside
You cry out in pain and you pray that this is the last time, but some prayers go unanswered and you know this from personal experience
These four walls will haunt you and it'll seem as if they're talking to you, like they're whispering your name
Those four walls are the only ones who see what he does when it's too late for anyone else to know
And you wonder why don't they wonder why you don't talk anymore, why you can't speak when spoken to and why you never look at yourself in the mirror
But they never ask so you never tell
And another day ends and night approaches, you hear your bedroom door open then close
Closing is always worse than opening because there is no escape
Innocence stripped away at each piece of clothing torn off, shame tucked away underneath the mattress where nobody could find it
And now you understand why they say 3 a.m. is the devil's hour