Sparrow Song | Teen Ink

Sparrow Song

By --Em-- GOLD, Grand Rapids, Michigan
--Em-- GOLD, Grand Rapids, Michigan

I wake every 'morn
to a lovely melody
rising to the clouds
and floating through
my open window.
Alarm clocks are so overrated.

EmmaClaire0823 GOLD, Bay Minette, Alabama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

I really love the poem and the last line except for the word overrated. Everything else works and flows in my opinion, except that word. It sounds so harsh and bitter almost in a poem that inspires beauty. Great job with the creativity of the poem also.

violawritermady BRONZE, Lehi, Utah

"The true artist does not create art as an end to himself. He creates it for others; humanity is the goal." -Bronislaw Huberman

Loved this one! The way the last line pops out at you is such a neat thing. I totally agree with this poem, and I think it's simply great! 

MalaikaJ GOLD said...
MalaikaJ GOLD, Cloquet, Minnesota

I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions. - James Michener

I like the the whole thing! The last line doesn't seem to fit as well, but I think it gives it a funny and satisfying ending. Great job!

Rebecca97 BRONZE, Gainesville, Florida
I like the fact that the last line of the poem seems almost out of place at first. It's as if someone were snapping their fingers in your face, demanding your attention. It interrupts the flow, yet at the same time turns the entire poem on its head. Long explanation short, I actually really love the last line and the effect it has on the entire poem. =)

Longlegs GOLD said...
Longlegs GOLD, Greeneville, Tennessee
The last line doesn't seem to fit. But other than that, it's a very lovely poem with a unique tune. Even though it's so short.

CosmoPhoenix PLATINUM, Kochi, Kerala, Other

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandela

I like the tune of the poem. Though it is just a few verses, I think your take on it is great. Good job!

BrightBurningCampeador PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon
This is a good poem, but I feel that the final line doesn't really work. It ties up the poem, but in a very incongruous way. I think it would fit better if the poem were longer and had more of a chance to establish a rhythm and a tone. Great job anyway though!

CheesePie BRONZE, Princeton, New Jersey
It's a great poem :) Usually I don't really like free verse but this one has a lighter and funnier feel to it than most

. said...
I'm normally averse to poems as short as this, but I absolutely loved this one. It's so beautiful, especially the last line that really ties it all together.

Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

I can imagine the sparrow calling out to you! I love this :)

Ariel_Fluffyy SILVER, Los Angeles, California

"You May Encounter Many Defeats But You Must Not Be Defeated" By- Dr. Maya Angelou

This is beautiful