The Broken Child | Teen Ink

The Broken Child

July 21, 2014
By RojerThatCat ELITE, Canoga, California
RojerThatCat ELITE, Canoga, California
285 articles 37 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We all can be only what we are, nothing more, or less."- Sword of Truth (Kahlan)


There I sat perched upon that fine log.
Waiting with lustful eyes directed at the attention-saturated children.
They knew not of my sorrows, my longing, my hunger.
They stood there watching me with eyes that voiced the words of my father.
"You're not good enough," they pleaded.
"You're not worthy to me," they barked.
I fell victim to these dark and beady eyes.
Like poison-tainted tips of an ever unseen blade, they did jab.
I wanted to do nothing more than cry and repent before these eyes.
I wanted to be more special, more unique, more desirable.
My words fell short, however;
And time was theirs once more.
The fire crackled with the taste of new prey as my father threw the helpless bark over the quickly dimming ember.
I could do nothing more than restrain my tears that ached to cascade over my forever-torn heart.
But my hands had a mind of their own.
What felt like infinity marked mere seconds in the Book of Time.
I shrieked and I clamored as my hands caressed the mounting flames.
No one told me that fire could burn you.
My father just watched as I groped the floor seeking comfort that was forbidden to me.
His eyes judged me like that of a nobleman looking down upon a lice-infested beggar.
Disgust is what I have come to label it.
It's disgust that made me unlovable to all who see me through pity-lacking eyes.
It's disgust that defines me in this life until my fateful end.


The author's comments:
This poem really strikes a chord in me that had yet to be played in the form of poetry. I've had friends who have told me all about their unloving upbringings and it truly did emotionally unnerve me to the core to hear that kids who were to be bathed in innocence and love were subjected to such harsh treatment. This poem goes out to everyone who has every felt as though they were wrongfully judged and treated as a kid. Disgust is what others would have called it, but they were the ones who were really missing the beauty right before their very eyes.