This Is Life (part 2) | Teen Ink

This Is Life (part 2)

By Kailey_H424 PLATINUM, Portland, Maine
Kailey_H424 PLATINUM, Portland, Maine

Treat others the way you want to be treated. (my mother)
I am, I am, I am (Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar)

your eyes blink open in bed. you are wrapped in the safety of a blanket cocoon, warm and content. your stretch your arms and sit up, full of a comforting warmth. it is a yellow light that emanates from you. you crack a small smile. today is a wonderful new day.
this is life.
you swish back the blankets and jump up from bed. you look down at your tanned legs, cotton pajama shorts, and laced tank top. your toenails are painted a bright pink. your fingernails are manicured with french tips.
this is life.
you saunter into the kitchen and brew a cup of coffee. the coffee maker gurgles pleasantly. the cat purrs a “good morning” at you and you kneel to pet her soft, fluffy fur. the coffee is warm and sweetened with a dash of sugar. you savor it.
this is life.
you take an hour to groom yourself, leisurely picking out a flowy dress and fiddling with your hair. you play music and sing along to the lyrics you know as you dance around your room, carefree, jubilant.
this is life.
your hair flows around your shoulders as you skip out the door. the sun kisses your face and the sky is cloudless and blue. birds chirp. flowers bloom. you pick a flower and tuck it behind your ear, finding a little blossom of happiness.
this is life.
you are free, out in the open. lush grass tickles your feet, tree branches shelter you overhead. you lay in the grass, hands behind your head and legs crossed. you watch little clouds float by, name different shapes. the clouds are all a pure white; feathery.
this is life.
your contentment is contagious. you smile at strangers and they smile back at you. everyone you see recieves a small bit of your jubilation and gives you a bit of their own in return, trading in a bank that never goes broke.
this is life.
your laughter bounces off the walls, all around the room. you send your laugh out into the air and the four walls send it right back to you. your laugh mingles with laughter from all around you, dancing in the air.
this is life.
you are whole. you feel complete. there is nothing more you could ask for or want. everything is joyous. everything beautiful. you are strong and you are capable. you are important. you matter. you love and you are loved.
this is life.
your heart beats in your chest; steady rhythmic. your lungs pump air in and out of your body. blood flows through your veins. your muscles relax and contrast as you move. your bones keep you steady.
this is life.
you are alive, you are breathing. what a wonderful thing it is. you have a body that works constantly, never ceasing, just to keep you alive and well. you have a brain that never stops working, never stops creating thoughts in your head.
this is life.
you are aware of the miracle of your being. you are the result of billions of years of evolution. you are a part of the human race. you are a part of something of perplexing magnitude. you are never alone.
you are. you are. you simply are.
this is life.