Technicolor Promise | Teen Ink

Technicolor Promise

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Crossing forked roads
On the way to
My home— fearless for once, realizing
I am I the way I am and was and will be—
Neglecting the fears that have been holding me down for years.
Going; growing; glowing proudly
Over the highway, alone;
Under striped skies in Technicolor
There’s something that tells me: “It’ll all be okay.”

Secret: the capital letters describe what this poem is about. Due to the Teenink format, it may not be easy to spot; additionally the "I" in "It'll" doesn't count.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I'm glad it spoke to you. Any time a piece of writing touches you, it's a reassuring feeling that is hard to take away. And hope births within the reader's soul.

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

[i]No matter how much people try to put you down or make you think other things about yourself, the only person you can trust about who you really are is you[/i] -Crusher-P

This certainly spoke to me as a pansexual. It's very well written and reassuring.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you. Certainly a piece that was difficult to write because of the technicalities but also of the emotions that I feel writing about this kind of topic. I can only hope it spoke to someone. If not, it's fine. Either way, I'm happy with the outcome of this poem. I enjoy re-reading it. And I don't do that with the majority of my writing. Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts about this poem. 

Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

A lot of my friends have undergone the same transition as your capital letters suggest. Not easy, but there is a certain freedom in doing so. It was beautiful, the way that I read it and then reread it with a whole new meaning. Definitely one of your best allegorical pieces, imo. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

honestly, i'm honored to read your words right now. it touches me, not in the cliched mode, but in the genuine manner. it's true: i've been priviledged that my work has achieved success beyond my wildest dreams, and yet not exactly there yet (i'm the worst case scenario perfectionist [at least in the making]). but i'm a growing writer. i'm not that different from anyone else here. the epitome of teen ink to me is my literary sister MyApocalytic whose work has been the main inspiration for a lot of my writing, whose work also, if you haven't read yet, you should. it's classic but modern simultaneously. thank you for commenting on my work; for giving it a chance even if it is brimmed with everyone else's beautiful words. i appreciate your words. and the best of luck to our future literary career. 

haley101 DIAMOND, Windsor, Connecticut

“Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift.”

― Mary Oliver

I'd like to take the oportunity to be the only one commenting on this poem of your's (for now) to let you know that you're not just a great writer. When I started out on teenink, I found you through one of my friend's comments on your work. At first I avoided commenting on your work, because I'd noticed that you'd been published so many times in the magazine, and so many people looked at your work. In a sense, I thought you were a far better writer than I was. Then I noticed how you'd reply to comments, and that you were honored that people got a chance to look at your work and I decided to give it some thought. I realized that we're both growing writers, and while I'm more modest with my work, and haven't posted much, I can learn so much from all of these fellow teen writers! Thanks for being such an inspiration to me, and helping out with my work.