Eccentric | Teen Ink

Eccentric MAG

By AprilNicoleJones BRONZE, New Castle, Indiana
AprilNicoleJones BRONZE, New Castle, Indiana

"I write only because
there is a voice within me
that will not be still."
~ SYLVIA PLATH

(MY FORMER ACCOUNTS: Icantwrite & Punk.Snowflake)
Published poems from my former accounts:
- FRAIL HOPE (Icantwrite)
- YOURSELF (Punk.Snowflake)

I remember it
so well – end of August,
the air still rife with heat,
the night stars, and
I felt

that I was a star
just beginning to realize
my so-called “brilliance,” and
for a moment I
believed

that life
was my thumb to bend
however far back I pleased,
maybe even breaking
a bone

if I wanted to.

When I first realized that being different is okay.

Richcoca PLATINUM, Canoga Park, California

Make as many as mistakes as you want, just don't make the same mistake.

*o* ummm... just *0*

on Jun. 11 2015 at 10:56 am
Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

Ahh yes! Yes! So happy you won!

JRaye PLATINUM said...
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan

"If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you."

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, 'I just don't care.'?"

I believe I commented on this last September - really, this is something else. I'm in a point in my life where I'm beginning to realize my potential in this world, and this poems rings true for me now more than ever. This is a stunning piece of work, it's so uplifting and inspiring and beautiful...congradulations on the publication, and thank you again for writing this. :)

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)

One of the most unique I've read on TI, beautiful work!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

It's eccentric itself. Twisted but perfect as it is. I absolutely love the ending. Couldn't have been better.

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

[i]No matter how much people try to put you down or make you think other things about yourself, the only person you can trust about who you really are is you[/i] -Crusher-P

This is beautiful and very inspiring. It's well worth being published.

CaseyChickenWang SILVER, McDonough,

"No one likes half-jinglers! Jingle all the way!" - Shelley McNeight
"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate." - GSUMUN

Wow this is good :) Teach me how to write oh wise one!

ansem_unlimited PLATINUM, Frederick, Maryland

Thou may think of me as desired, to idolize or villanize me whichever you may choose. but gaze upon me and thou sall not see the husk of a man! for all my sins and all my bliss, i am anything but hollow
-Ansem_Unlimited

Very inspirational, well said, & if I may add that this is your only article on your profile (or I may be stupid/blind) & your results are astounding. Hate to break it to yah but I don't have any advice to give you that you don't alreadtly know, I'd say good luck but you're set:)

EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

Wow. This is is simply, amazing. I absolutely, love this. I love how it is smooth, how it has rawness and emotion and how it is simple yet filled with power and beauty. You have such a talent and greatness and light in you! And you are a amazing and wonderful, talented writer. To be honest, I am proud and glad that you are getting to be published for you truly deserve it; you truly do. Congrats, my friend! Thank you so much, for sharing this! And again, congrats. :)

Angelique_h GOLD, Bradenton, Florida

"We cry, not because we are weak, but because we have been strong for too long."

Wow! This is an amazing poem and I honestly can't think of anything you could change to make it better! I think you're a very talented writer with a lot to offer!

XxSmilesxX GOLD, Thomasville, Georgia

Depression is like a war, you either win, or die trying.

I loved it. Keep up the work!

elycavill SILVER, Samobor, Other

Leave nothing but footprints,
Take nothing but pictures,
Kill nothing but time.

I like it very much (Oh, well it's good. :P). Rythm, message, and in particular this part
"for a moment I
believed   that life
was my thumb to bend"; not only the description but how you made an intermission there so it made it all sound stronger to me while reading! 
Good job! :)

violawritermady BRONZE, Lehi, Utah

"The true artist does not create art as an end to himself. He creates it for others; humanity is the goal." -Bronislaw Huberman

Love it! It's very unique - I don't think I have ever seen anything like it! I love that. You deserve that Editor's Choice 100%!!! I would love to hear what you think of either of my poems. Thanks! 

Zz9PluralZAlpha, Arlington Heights, Illinois

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education."

-Mark Twain

What a lovely, "eccentric" poem. I can tell this was what was going through your head when you made that realization. I love it when people write like that.

bruisedmemories ELITE, Birdsboro, Pennsylvania

"When you're young, you can fly, but we trip on clouds 'cause we get too high" -The Band Perry (Song: Don't Let Me Be Lonely)
"Cause no matter what, you'll never be alone" -Lady Antebellum (Song: Compass)

This is perfect. You truly earned that editor's choice badge. It's short and to the point and the your word choice is great. I love its unique structure and it's just overall amazing. I rated it as a 5/5!

"I write only because
there is a voice within me
that will not be still."
~ SYLVIA PLATH

- FRAIL HOPE (Icantwrite)
- YOURSELF (Punk.Snowflake)

You guessed it right, when I say "I remember it" I'm talking about the feeling I'm describing in the poem. I can see how that would be confusing. :)

SpringRayyn PLATINUM, Lakeville, Minnesota

"Don't punish yourself," she heard her say again, but there would be punishment and pain, and there would be happiness too. That was writing."
--Markus Zusak, "The Book Thief"

Your thumb metaphor is a good choice--it really connects to people and gives a good, though somewhat gruesome, visual. Short and to the point, I like that! The beginning though is a bit vague when you say "I remember it" I still don't know by the end of the poem what you're remembering unless you're just speaking of the feeling you had that you remember.

Starcatcher001 SILVER, Cypress, Texas

I had a rock garden. Last week, three of them died. -Richard Diran

The thumb was a really neat metaphor. My only critique is that at the beginning it was a bit choppy and confusing. Maybe if you add some punctuation or form it could help, but I also completely understand the creative genius behind a lack of structure so I might be the one seeing this piece wrong! Please keep writing because your word choice is superb!

Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

I really loved this! The way you split the stanzas up was perfect, and the poem was amazing! I love the way you compared yourself wih a star, and how you discover your "Brilliance, it's really outstanding! Never stop being you, and never stop writing! CX

JRaye PLATINUM said...
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan

This just...yes...amazing! I can truly, truly relate to this and I love everything about it, thank you for posting :)