Not Everyone | Teen Ink

Not Everyone

By Eglestan SILVER, Denver, Colorado
Eglestan SILVER, Denver, Colorado

The world may end tomorrow.

Heartaches may be felt.

Wars might be fought.

Disease may run rampant through the streets.

But the only consoling thought is:

it isn't everyone.

Not everyone slaughters each other in the fields of war

Not everyone lays dying from disease.

Not everyone lives in the street, begging for scraps on filthy matresses.

That says one thing to me.

There will be better days.

There will be others to help those people suffering from an eternal nightmare.

Wars rage.

Civilizations fall.

But hope remains.

For the trouble is not forever.

Pass along the message that there is hope. 

Because the future is still locked in tomorrow.

And though we teter on the brink of of life and death we will persevere for the better days of life.

Hold that close to your heart. Because sometimes,

it might help you to keepgoing.

It could happen.

I rely on this thought so I can know.

That there is hope.

There is always hope.

Some may disagree.

But I hope you know that you are not alone.

Hope is always there to support us through the dark times

So cling to hope.

Let it carry you to others and give them the hope to carry on.

Then maybe, when we have all done our part.

The world will be a better place.

I wrote this as a sort of speech to try to spread my idea to others. The idea that people shouldn't give up on hope. It may fall on deaf ears, but I want to at least try. To try to make the world more full of hope.

authoress17 SILVER, Evans City, Pennsylvania

"If there is no such thing as magic...then what is writing?."-authoress17 (me)

Amazing poem! It was so deep and gave me a lot to think about. Thank you so much for posting this and keep on writing. You are wonderful!

Helena_Noel BRONZE, Burnt Hills, New York

“I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day; I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way: The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear, fine counsel is confusing, but example's always clear.” -Edgar Guest

A good read! I like the skillful, subtle uses of repetition throughout the piece. One of the things that I like about freeverse is the very human way a poem reads, and you start off well! I admit, its a little disrupting as it takes on a more contrived style in the second half. But the swell of hope the reader can't help but feel while reading this surely carries one through! You mentioned in your description that this was based off a speech, and that is certainly very evident: the stirring to action and faith that bleeds through into the reader like the thrill of hearing a rallying battle cry from the rooftops! Perhaps it was the mention of wars to be fought in the beginning, but hope in my mind took the form of reinforcements waiting in the wings, beyond my sight, but ready. :) Great work! I'm glad this was reccommended to me as hope was what I needed right now! I came across your poem in the thread "Give Another Poet a Nod" TeenInk.com/forums?act=post&topic_id=16&thread_id=83977, you were mentioned by MysticMusic. Somebody else seems to think this is worthwhile, too! Write on! Peace!
Peace!

MysticMusic ELITE, Waterloo, Other

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” -Mae West
"It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things." - Leonardo Da Vinci

Wow, this is an amazing poem. Your description of the affairs of the both individuals and on a bigger basis, countries and overall the world. I really wish there were no wars, and I totally agree with you- hope should to held on to. It's something that can't be stolen from you easily.

JoeyBlackWolf SILVER, Bozeman, Montana

"The sun is yellow, F*** the blue sun"
-Joey

Wow, i love the immagery, its great!