Big Red Self- Destruct Button | Teen Ink

Big Red Self- Destruct Button

December 7, 2014
By Just_enough BRONZE, Wellington, Florida
Just_enough BRONZE, Wellington, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I have no ideas, only obsessions. Anybody can have ideas. Ideas have never caused anybody's downfall."
- Emil Cioran, from On The Heights Of Despair


Falling in love is a beautiful way to self- destruct.
It’s a big red button deep inside your heart that has the letters LOVE on it in bold white ink on top of its solid form housing the pulsing glow that will turn bright red once activated.
All you have to do is push it.
And when you do,
Sirens will go off and scream so that all you can focus on is the cause you installed it in the first place.
That one person.
That one person was your guide that you read through and through to make sure that you didn’t get the different screws mixed up or miss a vital piece of information on how to put the contraption together.
And when you completed it, after hours of battling with the pages and foreign instructions,
That one person,
Your guide,
Helped guide your finger to that button and just put a little pressure on it.
But you were the one who was eager to push it, to see what it does.
The end result? 
You fall apart,
Collapse under the additional weight,
And as you try to put yourself back together again,
Another instruction guide comes in the mail.
Falling in love is a terrible way to live if you fall in love easily.


The author's comments:

My boyfriend and I haven't been together very long, and he will be moving away to a different state.  I am terrible with distance and its hard for me to focus on things like commitment since I am terrified of it. I was messing around when I began to think what it might feel like when he could say good bye and we never speak again.  I compared it to a self- destruct button cause those make things fall apart and foils the plan of the villians in cartoons.  But, in this poem, I am the one who keeps inviting villian (love) in.  I hope you like it.