What Is Time? | Teen Ink

What Is Time?

By BoobooBeetle DIAMOND, Jacksonville, Florida
BoobooBeetle DIAMOND, Jacksonville, Florida

“A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.”
G.K. Chesterton

"And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you."
Denis Johnson

Time

Time is never--

Time is always--

Time never waits,

Time never stills,

Time is one of those factors,

You'll never ponder,

Yet always consider.

Always remember the past,

Or worrying about the future,

When right now,

You could be joyful in the present.

Time

I truly do enjoy and have a passion for philosophy, therefore, when I wrote this, I was thinking about the question, "What is time?" So I answered that question with this short little poem.

Beila BRONZE said...
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

"Never ponder/ Yet always consider." Trust me, you have got me pondering--an intense, intriguing poem.

AbigailGilgal GOLD, Cloquet, Minnesota

"I write for the same reason I breath- because if I didn't, I would die"
~Isaac Asimov

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at the typewriter and bleed."
~ Ernest Hemingway

Great piece! This is actually something I find myself thinking about quite a lot. You did a superb job turning thoughts and ideas into a poem. Loved it!

MalaikaJ GOLD said...
MalaikaJ GOLD, Cloquet, Minnesota

I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions. - James Michener

I love this! It is so simple, yet it carries such deep thoughts. Great job!

KaavyaM SILVER said...
KaavyaM SILVER, Hyderabad, Other

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.

I love how you've repeated the word time, and the thought behind this is really intriguing. Like the others, I do think it would have benefitted from a few extra lines. I especially love your last line where you end with just the word time, which also completes your sentence. Well done! :)

G.K. Chesterton

Denis Johnson

Thank you! :)

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

I do feel like this should have been a bit longer,and the ending few lines were great. The picture perfectly accompanies your work, too. Great job!

MysticMusic ELITE, Waterloo, Other

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” -Mae West
"It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things." - Leonardo Da Vinci

The repetitiveness of the word, "time", really emphasizes its power over us. The description of time itself is a factor that can't be controlled, but rather has control over us. The philosophy here is great, the only advice I'd say is to make it longer. Content is better than length, but this poem would have a great effect if you elaborated more on the details of time and its effects. Other than that, this was a great poem! I especially love how you gave advice on how to enjoy time in the end and left it with the word, "Time", as if Time itself had written the poem.