The Rainbow Boy | Teen Ink

The Rainbow Boy

February 4, 2015
By Allison_Rise GOLD, Lexington, Ohio
Allison_Rise GOLD, Lexington, Ohio
18 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I was a child and she was a child,
In this kingdom by the sea,
But we loved with a love that was more than love—
I and my Annabel Lee—
With a love that the wingèd seraphs of Heaven
Coveted her and me." -Edgar Allan Poe


My little rainbow boy, you’re changing colours again.
I can no longer distinguish your old soul at a glance.
The gratis spirit you once had has been replaced by bags of sand and your heart by a slab of stone.
A green sea used to flood your irises before they were evaporated by a Lifeless grey matter.
Your emotions have been sullenly sculpted by a cruel reality that has Perturbed you.
Nearer, nearer yet do you dare thrust yourself into insanity.

My little rainbow boy, your colours are fickle.
I cannot express the sorrow that accompanied the thoughts of missing you,
For it subjugates my mind and wills me into a penumbra where I am Destined to stay.
You’ve become a novella written in tongues that are foreign to this world, Bound in layers of tattered human skin and enveloped in thorns that Ensconce the decrepit roses encased within.
Perfection is unattainable, yet you choose to turn a blind eye to the idea That perhaps the impossible should remain out of grasp.

My little rainbow boy, your colours are quaint.
They’ve sealed your wonders away in a sepulcher and you cry for me to save You.
I can see specks of blue sharpening back into your spectrum as tears flood Your depository.
Drowning in your sorrows will not nullify the demons inside.
If it is I you seek to find, then promise to swear by your conscience, for it Will guide you back to me.

My little rainbow boy, your colours have gone.
Heat eschews your body as I’m left grievously eying this hollow shell.
I cannot fathom what you have become.
It talks naught, it hears naught, it sees naught, and it feels naught.
I wish I could fool myself and say the ‘it’ I speak of is you, but you have Passed with your colours.
Truth is devastating, isn’t it?
Don’t worry little boy, everything was foretold and you cannot change the Complicated things.
The sooner you accept it, the less painful it is.

Don’t worry little boy, for I will still remember you.
Don’t worry little boy, for  I will still love you.
Don’t worry little boy, for I will still miss you.
Don’t worry little boy.
Don’t worry.


The author's comments:

I finally got to talk to my friend who I haven't talked to in a really long time since he moved. It turns out that a lot of things changed.