Poetry | Teen Ink

Poetry MAG

By Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California
Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

[i]No matter how much people try to put you down or make you think other things about yourself, the only person you can trust about who you really are is you[/i] -Crusher-P

Lately, I’ve been too tired for poetry.

Too tired
to form words
and keep them,
boil them into rhymes
and press them into lyrics,
sing them from my heart or
scream into a megaphone that
nobody cares to put their ear to because
why would you want to be deafened?

I told my friend 'Lately I've been too tired for poetry' in chat as a reference to something I said about myself that sounded flowery and poetic.

Then I wrote a thing. A spoken word thing.

Sonder said...
on Jun. 23 2019 at 1:29 am
Sonder, Wattpad, Other
A delayed comment, but the ending really pensively ties all the verses together. Also, here's a belated congratulations. 👏

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

Some day is here for the third time, Amai. Congratulations!

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

Thank you, Beauty. I actually have two recent poems up and a third I'm going to edit and post soon on pro-ana, so don't worry :)

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

Thank you. Just keep writing and inspiration will pop out and hit you in the head (hopefully not painfully!)

BeautyWhispers PLATINUM, Nevada City, California

Be Yourself, Be Unique, Be Me. :) - By BeautyWhispers

Very good Amai!!! Describes your emotional feelings very well. Hopefully you get back on the poetry! Lol

The_DoctorDonna PLATINUM, Anytown, Iowa

"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says 'I'm Possible'"

I like it :) It's fun how you made a poem from not wanting to make poetry. The emotion is conveyed beautifully (I kept thinking about being too tired to write poetry myself.) Anyways, nice job Amai :)

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

Thank you! It did actually begin as that, but I did my best to turn it around. I think it must have worked.

Ginger__Snapp__ BRONZE, Wake Forest, North Carolina

SOME PEOPLE FEEL THE RAIN, OTHERS JUST GET WET.

~Bob Marley~

I like how in the beginning it seems as though this was just a "refresh" on your personal life, but it turns into a beautiful poem about poetry. I love it...

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

Thank you, Star. I had a lot of emotions and intents for this poem, and I'm glad you were able to see one of them.

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

Thank you, Ray! I hope some day I can be in one of the magazines with you (^u^).

StarGazer9 GOLD, Marana, Arizona

"Never let the odds keep you from doing what you know in your heart you were meant to do."

Why would you want to be deafened... wow. For me, poetry is often something that expresses the world and unsaid feelings that would otherwise never be spoken about. That last line, why would you want to be deafened... It means why would you want to listen to poetry that really gets you thinking and can be overwhelming with the conclusions you can come to? People don't like listening to the truth too often. At least that's what this poem meant to me. :) Wonderful job Amai-kun!

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)

The ending is really.. .. powerful. The length, and the line breaks, were awesome. As usual, it is amazing, definitely worthy of the editor's pick, Congratulations!

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

Thank you very much, Mystic. I suppose I'm actually not too tired!

MysticMusic ELITE, Waterloo, Other

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” -Mae West
"It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things." - Leonardo Da Vinci

This is definitely relateable and well done. There's so much poetry where it's very meaningful and dazzling, and poets don't always produce poems like that. There's some great poetry, and for most people, a lot of not so good poetry before reaching that result, and keeping that result. I love this poem- you definitely have talent in this.