Ode to Our Friends Who Are Uncomfortable In Their Own Bodies | Teen Ink

Ode to Our Friends Who Are Uncomfortable In Their Own Bodies

April 7, 2015
By DesmineRobinson PLATINUM, Melvindale, Michigan
DesmineRobinson PLATINUM, Melvindale, Michigan
27 articles 2 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is an opportunity."
"Different is normal."
"We have to love ourselves, so we can properly love someone else."


It's going to finally be a pure smile on your face- it's about time you can live inside of yourself- joyously. 

 

I'm so happy to be a witness to this bliss- so tired of you feeling misplaced in photographs- you're beautiful, you're handsome- to yourself now. Like you deserve. 

 

I just want to squeeze you tightly and hold you, soaking your chest in my tears of joy. Oh, how much of a great friend you have always been of mine. Don't you ever leave me or this planet.... wait....

 

That's a hard promise to keep because we all have to go someday. So better yet, don't leave this planet, don't leave me- without giving me a chance to tell you, how much I love you. 

 

You're the greatest friend I ever had.

And when you're sad, I'm sad.

 

I'm glad, and so are you.

 

You make a cake and slice 10 pieces, giving them to myself and 9 other guests. Noticing that your stomach is growling as the other 9 eat: some noticing your stomach's sound, some not- I give you half of mine. 

 

Because every time you love me, I want you to know that I love you too.

 

I love you too.


The author's comments:

This was inspired by people who feel like they were born in the wrong body.

 

This was also inspired by people who feel insecure about their feelings, and status quo- and believe that maybe if they looked differently then everything would be cool.

 

This poem is read as if these people just had a transformation into the body they believe they were meant to be in and we're witnessing how happy they are and since they've been such a great friend to us, we're going to make sure that we support them in their happiness.