Burning Photographs | Teen Ink

Burning Photographs

By A.B.L BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri
A.B.L BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us."- Marianne Williamson

Forgiveness, my eyes pleaded peering at the youthful innocence reflecting from my photo taken years earlier, a window frozen in time. I prodded her eyes for something, anything to convince myself of that she and I share the same bones. Her eyes put out an inner light fueled uncontrollably by embers of hope, trust and love. I did not know this girl. These blissful flames began to dance in my eyes taunting me for extinguishing them. Was abandoning her trust and everything she believed in worth acceptance? Through hot tears I wondered if her forgiveness could ever be as bottomless as her joy.

Looking at old pictures of myself and others always makes me wonder how our old selves would view what is now. Even if we've made big mistakes, we can be proud that we've learned from them and are stronger because of it.