FOREVER | Teen Ink

FOREVER

By Emjolie8 GOLD, Evanston, Illinois
Emjolie8 GOLD, Evanston, Illinois

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
-anonymous

Today I said goodbye to one of my best friends. The one I have known the longest and the one who was always there for me. Although she was not human she was the one I felt most connected to. She would comfort me and make me laugh from the very first day when she sprinted around the field, came in front of me wanting a tummy rub. She make me happy. Baby Elizabeth thought it was the funniest thing in the world and just like that we decided she was the one, the only, the perfect dog for us and boy we have never been so right.
Seeing her for the last time was not at all how I imagined it, but then again I don't know how i imagined it... I always dreaded the day. Feeling her take her last breath, knowing there was no turning back after the vet injected the needle, was hard but the challenge now is coming to peace with letting her go. August 21, 1999 we took her in and today we let her go, a day before her 15th birthday, we said our final goodbyes. I will have many dogs in my life, but Amber I will always remember you for many great reasons. forever and always I love you.