Where I've Come From | Teen Ink

Where I've Come From

By PerfecthewayIam SILVER, Vancouver, Washington
PerfecthewayIam SILVER, Vancouver, Washington

The greatest act of courage is to be and to own all of who you are- without apology, without excuses, without masks to cover the truth of who you are.
-Debbie Ford

I come from the wisps of words passed from lip to lip in a soft haze of lies
From the crash of waves spilling through my eyes snuffing out the last bit of fight left in me

I come from thousands of state tests that judge me by memory without knowing me and what i've been through
From perfect ringlets and manicures as I try to conform to society's ideals but become more and more broken than before

I come from a room of reflections that show my imperfections as I dance through a life of mind numbing madness
From the pleas to a loved one as I try to stop the razor being dragged across the wrist and the spill of precious blood

I come from the emptiness that wraps itself around my body created by a 10 year old girl afraid of being hurt again
From the stranger in the mirror, who never became quite who I had in mind 

I come from a place where every word is a stab in the heart and a bullet to the head
Were sticks and stones can break your bones but words, they can break your spirit

I come from a world where I can no longer feel the cold, and thunder and lightning are only reminders that harder days are going to come
From the fields of wild grass woven into laughter as we played tag in misplaced, forgotten, and broken dreams

I come from the shivering breath of my baby sister as our hands interlock and she tells me i'm beautiful
From the hope that tomorrow will be better and that someday my dreams will add up to something

Who you are is made by who we have been, and there is no way aroung it