A Single Stone Block: The Building of a Pyramid | Teen Ink

A Single Stone Block: The Building of a Pyramid

March 18, 2016
By emilie32 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
emilie32 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
17 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A single stone block: the first of millions.
The sweltering sun beats down on the craftsmen.
With every step...footprints last in the smooth sand.
They ascend up the ramp, hauling heavy stone blocks.
Oxen lug lumbering limestone blocks, exerting their power.
Blustery winds blow sand into the eyes of the men as they work.
A single stone block: crumbles. Panic sets in: petrified builders scramble to secure it.
One by one, the blocks tumble. The men hurry out of the blocks’ path avoiding danger.
Once on the ground, the men look up to see their demolished work. Sighing, they carry on.
Carefully restacking limestone blocks, adhering them with mushy mud, confident they will stand alone.
Sweat rolls off the brow of a weary worker, dripping into the sand. The sizzling sun makes the task strenuous.
Craftsmen assemble the stone slabs atop each other, elevating the structure towards the infinite, motionless sky.
A single stone block: locked into place. Silence washes over content laborers...the millions of blocks form a pyramid.