Favorite (little) Things | Teen Ink

Favorite (little) Things

By margaretbo BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado
margaretbo BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado

"You are you, and that is truer than true. There is no one in the world who is youer than you"
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened" - Dr. Suess

It was the ideas, thoughts adorned with with sentiments and simplicity. The late night conversations provoking the theories and concepts about absolutely nothing, but nothing was all she had ever known.

She dreamed of crystal clear lakes atop pine-dotted mountains. Tiny trinkets made of copper that gave off dull shines in the windows of home shops made her eyes twinkle. She longed to travel to far-off places on crinkled maps, Santorini, Paris, Rome. She (tried) to write calligraphy in perfect pen while watching the rain fall from the corner of the local coffee shop.
Wildflower fields and dutch braids, summer nights filled with the ringing of her own ears after the concert music had blasted. She drank sparkling apple cider, swam in shimmering blue oceans, wore frayed friendship bracelets and reminisced sweet memories trapped in leather bound diaries with pages falling out. She laughed at bumbling bees, little children running on sidewalks, and freckles that only appeared in the summertime. Road trips in the back of rickety old trucks, she stared up at the stars as the wind lulled her to sleep.
Her summers consisted of fresh picked red strawberries in green basket containers, birthday candles on overly-frosted cakes and the concept of oblivion. She dressed up on Halloween to forget who she was for just one night, lost herself in the crowds of sugar-high princesses and witches. She read by the fire in long fuzzy socks, glancing over at the Christmas tree from time to time as if she was scared the holidays would end. She smiled at cheesy jokes and dimples and nervous laughter. She ponders love, happiness, and spontaneity. Her friends could be summarized in green eyes that don’t fit with their face, electric guitars and rock-climbing chalk. The rare things she got to see and do, unreal early morning sunrises, sailing across lakes and oceans, and meeting people she would never forget no matter how unknown they were to others. She took pictures of cruiser bicycles, dogs mid-shake, water flying off of their fur, and snapshots of the times she looked & felt so happy she could take on the world.
Every notion that popped into her mind had a special place in her head and heart, and even the smallest things in life could put a smile on her face. The thoughts swirled in her head like fluttering skirts when she danced, and no one quite understood if she was a daydreamer or night thinker or simply crazy - because in other’s minds, these were the little things they passed by on the street, but in hers, they were everything and more.

I believe that sometime the most important things in life that have the potential to make you happy can pass you by because they are so small. I was inspired to write this poem because it reminds people to look closely and embrace everything that brings you joy, even if others don't pay them any attention.