No Clue - A Haiku | Teen Ink

No Clue - A Haiku

February 26, 2024
By King_KDA DIAMOND, Burlington, Washington
King_KDA DIAMOND, Burlington, Washington
97 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Numquam finitur, donec vita finiatur."
- K. D'Angelo Alexander


Lost boy sitting down,

Wondering what life might bring;

Often, he just frowns


The author's comments:

A haiku depicting a young man feeling lost, without a clue as to what life might bring him. Having faced adversity in the past, he frowns, not necessarily being optimistic towards the future. As a poet, and as someone with the name “Kadence,” I really enjoy rhyme and rhythm which is why I made this haiku rhyme. The last word of the first line rhymes with the last word of the last line, and the first and last words of the second line rhyme. “Down, wondering, bring, frowns.” 


I’ve never done a haiku prior to this, and I must admit it was a little intimidating at first. However, given the dark/optimistic nature of this start to the Spring Collection, an idea for a young man pondering the future and what it could entail while still feeling a little pessimistic came naturally. As the seasons change from the cold, dreary dark of Winter, into the rainy, yet beautiful colors of Spring, the time in between leads a great number of people to lose hope. A smaller portion of people, however, retain some sense of optimism as they ponder what life could bring them the following season, knowing that its arrival is inevitable.