Cologne | Teen Ink

Cologne

By TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

There once was a man who lived alone.
He went out and bought some cologne.
A friend came to visit,
But sneezed when they sniffed it,
So the man went back to using the phone.

This is an actual limerick, unlike my other one. This is meant for humor!!!

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

No, I think this is fantastic. Thank you so much; you're really opening my eyes. (:

ThatGirlWithAVoice BRONZE, Brampton, Other

"My hobbies include editing my life story, hiding behind metaphors & trying to convince my shadow that I'm someone worth following." - Rudy Francisco

I adore this! I find it very interesting that you mentioned you weren't aiming to include any symbolism in this piece because I found a lot in it as well. At actually reminded me of Shell Silverstein's illustration "The Thinker of Tender Thoughts". 
In my opinion the poem was about a recluse who finally built up the corrage to try to do something social but was shut down instantly by what he percived as dissaproval. I got the feeling that it represented all of our desire to fit in and please those around us. And at thr same time it touched on how fragile our confidence can really be.
Perhaps I'm diving too deep with this but regarless this poem is both adorable and captivating!

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Okay, I'll see what I can come up with. (:

nakoLa PLATINUM, Springhill, Florida

It is not about waiting for the stom to pass.
Its about learning to dance in the rain.

:D You are very welcome. Isn't it amazing how other people can get something totally new and different out of your poetry?! If you dont mind, i would appreciate it, if you could interprete one of my poems...im just so curious on what else it could be and mean!  thank you anyways

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Oh, please. My comments are longer. I really appreciate the feedback on this! This is really interesting; I would have never though of it. Wow. Thank you so much for sharing this with me. It truly opened up my mind to all the things my poems could actually mean. This is amazing. Thank you so much.

nakoLa PLATINUM, Springhill, Florida

Well first the general idea i got behind this poem was a person trying to fit into society. Cologme itself if you think about it is very superficial and basically covers up our natural smell with something that is pleasing to smell for Most people , but it also changes it to what we want to be but know we never can ( a though girl wearing sweet and flowery perfume to appear that way etc. ) also the friend who sneezed could be the general reaction we get from people when we maybe try something new and unexpexted, which is in this case negative. Then the phone could stand for distance as well as connection, since it is far enough to protect him from criticism but he doesnt want to lose all contact...so he found an alternative, the phone. At then end this could express the idea of people getting to know each other on a less personal level due to technology or fear of judgement. Omg im sorry i know its lengthy -.- ...oh right cologne has all the letters for cool Ok now im done :)

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Haha, no. We had to write it for my LA class as an example of a limerick. Tell me, what are some symbolic things you find in it?

nakoLa PLATINUM, Springhill, Florida

This poem is cute and funny, as well as unexpected. But i get a lot of symbolism out of this...was that done on purpose?