A Peaceful Afternoon Unraveled | Teen Ink

A Peaceful Afternoon Unraveled

Golden sunlight filters through the leaves, Children's laughter fills the air in the park, A gentle breeze whispers through the trees, A picture of tranquility as the day departs.

Families gather, picnics on green lawns spread, The lake mirrors the sky, a canvas of calm, Joggers trace the winding paths ahead, An idyllic scene, a healing balm.

In an instant, the earth trembles beneath, A roar disrupts the harmonious scene, The ground splits, a gaping mouth with no sheath, Nature's fury, unforeseen and keen.

Buildings sway, trees wrench from their roots, Screams pierce the erstwhile peaceful air, The ground claims all, indifferent to disputes, A city's heartbeat caught in despair.

People cling, searching for safe ground, As the earth claims its due with relentless might, The chaos of nature's wrath knows no bound, Turning day's ease into a fearful night.

Rescuers rush, amidst dust and cries, A community shattered, yet holding tight, In the face of despair, human spirit tries, To rebuild, recover, and relight.

An ordinary afternoon, under the sun's warm glow, Transformed in moments, a narrative redrawn, Lives altered in ways they'd never know, Marking a day when the earth violently yawned