Napoleon House | Teen Ink

Napoleon House

New Orleans, the place to be for Mardi Gras. With the melting pot of the French and African American cultures. This city is filled with many ionic pieces of  fine architecture including the old creole townhouses and historic restaurants. Traveling from Wisconsin to Louisiana my family stopped to enjoy the culture of this fine city. Walking down the streets, I felt like Tiana from Princess and the Frog. The music surrounded the street as it traveled through the cracks of the old history-filled buildings. 

We arrived to the line on Chartres street at the Napoleon House. The servers came around asking if we wanted any drinks as we needed to wait in line for 25 minutes. But the waiting went by fast as we directed our eyes to the palm trees that stood tall infront of the white supreme court building. 

This place captures the essence of New Orleans like no other. As it’s a restaurant now, it was a house before. Nicholas Girod the mayor of New Orleans from 1812 to 1815 was the first in the building. He offered the place to Napoleon in 1821. As Napolean never made it, the name still stuck making the place called the Napoleon House. 

Our wooden table stood against the rustic wall with 4 chairs in the crowded main dining area. The menu was filled from top to bottom. The walls were crowded with historical images from old pictures of the interior house, employees, news articles, and the old owner, which gave it a dated, cozy feel. 

We all were ambitious to try everything on the menu just to get the full experience. From the bittersweet slimy texture gumbo to the savory dish of jambalaya with spicy rice, chicken and sausage. As my main dish I got the shrimp remoulade stuffed avocado. A ripe lettuce leaf was the base of the dish as the half cut avocado came next. The avocado was the ripest avocado i’ve ever seen. The fresh mixed green salad came next as it was piled into the avocado with their house made dressing. Four seasoned shrimp pieces covered in a spicy garlic sauce were placed evenly ontop of the salad aline with one another. A sliced lemon that was made into a swirl and the garlic bread, it was all so good. 

I watched as my other family members finish their meals. My dad devoured his meatball Po-boy with red sauce and provolone cheese that melts through the creases of his fingers. My mom took her last bite of her slightly toasted turkey Po-boy that looked so delicious. My sister to the right of me got the turkey club which consisted of house made fresh turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayo all compact together on toasted marble rye bread. 

From the history to the architecture of the Napoleon House, I would rate my experience very eye opening. The antique decorations and designs allowed for customers to picture the place in the past. I would recommend this place to anyone that is interested in seeing the ambiance and history of New Orleans, all while enjoying a high quality meal that will do the same .

This piece was inspired from the trip I took to Mississippi while visiting New Orleans. Its about the time I went to a popular restaurant in New Orleans called the Napoleon House. I decided to give a five star review to this place explaining how much I enjoyed it.