Blue Collar Coffee | Teen Ink

Blue Collar Coffee

By lxevndrk GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
lxevndrk GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin

Blue Collar Coffee on Milwaukee Street in Delafield is by far my favorite place to study. It  has an industrial theme featuring sheet metal walls and lots of natural wood that create a relaxed atmosphere under the soft yellow lighting. Whether you’re coming by yourself for a few hours of focus or are bringing a larger group for a meeting, they have a variety of table sizes to accommodate as well as an energy to match either occasion. 

The coffee itself is what makes Blue Collar a winner. Blue Collar uses beans from Ruby Coffee Roasters which have a variety of seasonal and permanent blends roasted right in Wisconsin. The flavor of their espresso is incomparable to any other that I’ve tried, emphasizing sweeter notes of almond and cherry that harmonize with the strong flavors of the coffee itself.

I am particularly passionate about their iced almond milk lattes; I avoid adding any flavor because their espresso is just that good. I haven’t been quite as satisfied with their chai lattes since they serve a spicier chai as opposed to a more sweet/subtle latte. While the chai latte wasn’t my favorite on its own, an additional espresso shot goes a long way to relax the spicy notes of the tea. 

Specialty drinks tend to ring up between $4 and $5, plus an extra dollar if you request a non-dairy milk; however, these prices pay for consistently high quality coffee and I’d willingly pay them for my weekly latte. 

As for the food at Blue Collar, I would go somewhere else for anything other than a snack. Their croissants and chocolate twists are great warmed up and are on sale after 2 pm, but I’ve had less luck with their breakfast and lunch sandwiches. The chicken pesto sandwich was really a slab of dry ciabatta with a thin layer of pesto, a glob of cheese, and a decent chicken breast. While the chicken was okay, it couldn’t make up for the let down that was the rest of the sandwich or the $10.95 that I was charged for. It doesn’t help that the restaurant advertises their food as “fresh” when the reality is all of their sandwiches are frozen and microwaved to order. 

Overall, Blue Collar Coffee is a great place to study and enjoy a coffee with friends. Anyone who appreciates good coffee, a toned down setting, and music that matches that calm vibe without putting you to sleep should try it out.  The space the restaurant owners have created is certainly enjoyable enough to spend an afternoon in; however, I’d recommend grabbing lunch somewhere else.