Zin Uncommon California Italian | Teen Ink

Zin Uncommon California Italian

May 18, 2022
By fortnite_gurl_OG GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
fortnite_gurl_OG GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Zin Uncommon California Italian is a medium sized, local restaurant located in Delafield, Wisconsin. The restaurant is built on many cream colored stone brinks surrounding the bar from a house built in the early 1800s. That gives the restaurant a really cool vibe. The Restaurant serves California based Italian food. 

As I walked up the long ramp leading to the door to the restaurant, I saw illuminated life-size snow globes where the outdoor patio usually resides on either side of the walkway. There were tables in the snow globe and they were fitted for christmas—Streamers hanging down with a cool star light inside. During the night, the cross of string lights illuminate the patio below, the snow glistening.  There were a couple of parties in the snow globes, all enjoying the night sky away from the freezing temperatures. 

As Snow fell , I stepped inside to a lively atmosphere. To the right, there is a granite bar, with a wide selection of alcohol in the backdrop. It is decorated with a slightly visible restaurant emblem engraved in the granite.People of all kinds laughing and chatting. There is also a staircase to the  left leading upstairs for parties or extra seating. The orange walls accompanied by the dark green ceiling makes it feel “Southern”-- like cacti in the sand. 

Past the bar, In the main dining area, there is a beautiful array of stained glass panels with lights behind them—Truly the attention grabber of the restaurant. There is a big kitchen lining the dining room with a large window so customers can see their food being prepared. There is a wide variety of locations to sit in the restaurant whether it is a booth, table, bar, or from the three patio locations in the restaurant. Two out front looking towards the street of Downtown, and a patio on the side of the restaurant. The patio on the side is my favorite because during the summer, the nature makes it very secluded, and it is just very peaceful to eat out there.

Usually, people have to make a reservation an hour or two in advance, due to the busyness of the restaurant. But Once you get in, the food makes the wait time worth it. They have a dozen appetizers that they offer, from steak to squid to arancini(Gooey risotto balls with cheese, fried with marinara sauce and pancetta). I got the shrimp tempura and the cauliflower dip. The crunchiness of the shrimp accompanied by the crunchiness of the walnut made it worthwhile. The Cauliflower dip was very creamy and delicious. The only issue was that it was too hot and the oil rose to the top, so  We had the kitchen remake it. It came back fresh and perfectly cooked. The flavor of the garlic and cheese explodes in your mouth making it irresistible. I could make a whole meal off just the appetizers.  

For an entree, The chicken parmesan is the fan favorite—and my favorite personally. The breaded chicken, crispy on the outside, and surprisingly tender on the inside. Zin also has an array of salads. The avocado chop salad is my top salad when I want something nutritional. When ordering a salad, you can get a large or a small, with the choice to add on scallops, chicken, salmon, or shrimp. The sauteed salmon went along perfectly with the salad. 

But  make sure you save room for some of their signature desserts. The key lime pie is the popular desert. I understand why. The sourness of the lime is perfect, and as soon as it hits your mouth, it dissolves. The freshly made whipped cream and the lime zest put it all together. If you're in the mood for something chocolatey I recommend the 7 layer chocolate cake. It is exactly how it sounds. A huge, creamy, and rich slice of chocolate cake. Another homemade signature dessert is the chocolate lasagna; a coco based noodle with creme in between followed by a generous helping of chocolate syrup. It sounds weird, but trust me it is amazing. They also feature a seasonal creme brulee and gelato.

The amount of foods and options makes it perfect for gluten allergies. They compensate that with gluten free pasta, and gluten free pizza crust. Their pizzas, or called pinzas, which are more oval shaped, feature a make your own, or margarita, italian, chese, buffalo chicken, or meatball.

Whether you are stopping for a drink and appetizers, or getting a wholemeal, Zin has much to offer.