Magnolia Press | Teen Ink

Magnolia Press

By avrylindmarkk BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
avrylindmarkk BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

The aroma of freshly brewed coffee and homemade baked goods wafts through the cafe as sounds of the espresso machine whirling and people talking fills the room. 

Magnolia Press is a coffee shop located in Waco, Texas, in Magnolia Market. Magnolia Market is a collection of small businesses encircling the Waco Silos. It was started by Chip and Joanna Gaines, who are two designers that star on the HGTV show “Fixer Upper.” They designed the area and own all of the small stores located in the area. Some of the most noticeable businesses are Magnolia Home, Magnolia Seed + Supply, Silos Baking Co, and Magnolia Press. 

Magnolia Press is a welcoming cafe that is targeted toward all coffee lovers and people who love interior design, but the main audience seems to be college students. This is most likely due to the fact that there are three colleges located in Waco, Texas. College kids spread across the lower level studying quietly at the many long tables and booths enjoying the goods that Magnolia Press sells.

The upper level of Magnolia Press is a relaxing front for the business, where people can order their drinks and pastries and watch them be made in front of them. The room is decorated with plants and retro decor, and a small display of t-shirts and coffee-related goods that are available for purchase.

I enjoy visiting new coffee shops in different parts of the country that I visit. I also frequently order the same thing every time, because I know that I will usually like it: a frozen latte with almond milk and a pump of vanilla syrup, but at this location, there were so many appetizing options, that it was hard to choose what I wanted to order. The cost for all of the drinks was mostly in the medium price range, as it seemed to be the same as many previous coffee shops I’ve visited. 

After much deliberation, I decided to order my regular order. It was decently busy when I visited, so it did take a bit longer than I had hoped to receive my coffee, but that would be my only critique. 

When I finally received my order and had the first sip, it was perfection. I don’t know if it was the aesthetic of the whole experience, with the picture-perfect decor and the fact that I never wanted to leave, but it became my favorite in a matter of seconds.

If you ever find yourself in Waco, Texas, near the Magnolia Silos, I would suggest stopping at Magnolia Press. Even if coffee isn’t for you, you will still be wowed by the decor, experience, and overall atmosphere.

This piece was inspired by my love for searching for the best coffee shop around the world. My current favorite is Magnolia Press, located in Waco, Texas.