How does alcohol and diets affect esophagus? | Teen Ink

How does alcohol and diets affect esophagus?

By sarah0725hu BRONZE, San Mateo, California
sarah0725hu BRONZE, San Mateo, California

Oesophageal cancer, also called food pie, can be found anywhere in a person’s esophagus. People can get symptoms of esophageal cancer, such as trouble swallowing, chest pain, weight loss, or chronic cough. Looking into the relationship between diet-related inflammation in esophageal cancer and alcohol-related esophageal cancer, our group decided to research the similarities between these two causes of esophageal cancer. 

The first experiment hypothesized that the consumption of tobacco smoking, alcohol, and tobacco chewing are all related to esophageal cancer. Long-term heavy drinking and smoking can increase the risk of esophageal cancer. The other significant finding is that minors under eighteen have a higher risk of esophageal cancer. The research team studied men who smoked and drank alcohol in rural India Kerala, based on a cohort study (a long research period). They found the risk of esophageal cancer is related to tobacco use, alcohol drinking, and socioeconomic status. Bidi smoking can significantly raise the risk of esophageal cancer. In addition, high consumption of alcohol is another factor in increasing the risk of esophageal cancer because alcohol can cause cellular damage and acetaldehyde. Besides, the combination of consuming alcohol and tobacco will significantly increase the risk of esophageal cancer. 

To better analyze the problem, investigators interviewed 65,528 men aged 30-84 in India. Men smoke at a higher rate than women in India. The team chose men from their prime to old age to get a better average value. The couple adopted a baseline survey, which they researched in administrative divisions in India. The research team used standardized questionnaires to know India's real condition better. It includes frequency, consumption, length of time, age at the start of tobacco smoking, and alcohol drinking. The questionnaire also asks specific questions such as the socio-economic status of each family, religion, income, education, dietary habits, etc. 

For the past four decades, adenocarcinoma of the esophagus, gastroesophageal junction, and squamous cell carcinoma have been increasingly common in Western populations. Incidences and studies have shown that diet-related inflammation enormously impacts esophageal cancer. 

The second experiment was conducted in Sweden. The researchers found three different types of patients that were diagnosed with esophageal cancer. One hundred eighty-nine patients were diagnosed with esophageal adenocarcinomas, 167 patients were diagnosed with esophageal squamous cell carcinomas, and 820 patients were the control subjects in the study. This experiment aimed to test the dangers of getting esophageal cancer. The research suggested histological type impacts diet-related inflammation which then impacts the risk of esophageal cancer.

The experiment was designed to examine the risk of esophageal cancer and diet-related inflammation by looking at the DII (diet-related inflammation index) scores. For example, if there is a high DII score, the food would stimulate inflammation. A low score demonstrates that the food has the function of anti-inflammation. 

During the experiment, the confounders used DII scores to compare the data based on the food frequency questionnaire. Then they collected the data by interviewing the patients about their changes in lifestyle, behaviors, and dietary habits (63 different foods and beverages). After collecting the data, they multiplied the frequency of consumption by its sex-specific portion size using data from the national diet survey to find the dietary intake of the food. 

Some data tables showed that fruits and vegetables have the function of anti-inflammation. Others supplied the ratios between the variables and their DII scores. Additional data tables illustrated that a high BMI (body mass index) score in people who are overweight and obese can also influence the probability of getting oesophageal cancer.

Alcohol and diet-related inflammation can all be the cause of getting esophageal cancer. The risk of esophageal cancer increased along with the type and quantity of daily consumption of alcohol. Consuming cigarettes and bidi were linked to a higher risk of esophageal cancer. According to this study,  People who frequently drink alcohol have a higher esophageal cancer risk than non-drinkers. In addition to alcohol and cigarettes, diet can cause anti- and pro-inflammatory effects. Foods such as high-fat (cookies, biscuits, cake), high-energy drinks, and meat have pro-inflammatory properties. Plant-based foods, fish, and certain teas can have anti-inflammatory properties.

This article is a secondary review of two research investigations. It highlights the effects of diets and alcohol on esophageal health and unhealthy dietary patterns that can cause inflammation, cancer, and other diseases. This review aims to raise people's awareness of these associations and improve their nutritional habits, ultimately leading to a healthier life.