Encore! A Spotlight on the Broadway Hit, MJ the Musical | Teen Ink

Encore! A Spotlight on the Broadway Hit, MJ the Musical

March 18, 2024
By Anonymous

The iconic man that owns an album which holds the title of the best-selling album, has been brought back on the stage. “I’m a black American, I am proud of my race. I am proud of who I am. I have a lot of pride and dignity,”(Michael Jackson) a line by a legend. The cast of the production MJ the Musical showed exactly that, confidently standing on the stage and representing Michael Jackson’s 1992 Dangerous World Tour.

MJ The Musical, a musical chronicling the life of Michael Jackson, debuted at the Neil Simon Theatre on February 1, 2022. Featuring Jackson's iconic music, the production brought in a book by Lynn Nottage and choreography by Christopher Wheeldon. While receiving mixed reviews, it proved to be a box office success, grossing $170.9 million by January 2024, with attendance surpassing 1.1 million. 

Listening to MJ since day one, I wished I could’ve been able to see him live on stage. That dream never came true, but “MJ the Musical” brought me into the world of Michaels Jackson’s “1992 Danerous World Tour”. Throughout all the productions based on Michael Jackson I’ve been to, this is by far the best, and now, also my favorite musical. 

The show weaves together a lineup of the King of Pop's timeless hits, accompanied by dynamic choreography that pays homage to his signature moves. The ensemble delivers outstanding performances, capturing Jackson's energy and charisma. The production skillfully navigates the highs and lows of his career, offering a reflection on his impact on the music industry and pop culture. With its marvelous musical numbers and sets, MJ The Musical stands as a vibrant tribute to the enduring influence of Michael Jackson's unparalleled talent.

Myles Frost delivers a standout performance, embodying the essence of the young Michael Jackson with depth and authenticity. His portrayal of Jackson's early years is nicely shadowed, capturing his natural raw talent. Frost’s vocal power is equally impressive, navigating Jackson's iconic range. As a central figure in the production, Frost brings a sense of charm to the role, making him a standout in an already shining ensemble cast. Not a big surprise, because this production has earned 10 Tony Award nominations and secured victories in four categories, including Best Actor in a Musical for Myles Frost, Best Choreography, Best Lighting Design, and Best Sound Design. 

The enthralling storytelling, singing, choreography, and innovative staging of MJ the Musical has created a mesmerizing sonic tapestry that immerses listeners in a transcendent musical experience. Taking the time to watch this musical means you get a deep dive into the concert, 1992 Dangerous World Tour.


The author's comments:

This piece required some time to edit through, but this is my best draft.