VW Golf Gti Review | Teen Ink

VW Golf Gti Review

By ts-industries SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
ts-industries SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

2024 Volkswagen Golf GTI 380 S

Overview

The VW Golf Gti is the pack leader when it comes to hot hatches. It is considered to have the greatest combination of everyday practicality, efficiency, and of course, some sporty capability to make every driving as fun as can be. 

The base model that I will be reviewing has an MSRP of $31,965. This is the last year that they will make a manual transmission for this car so to pay homage, the base model comes with the 380 package. This includes adjustable dampers, summer performance tires, and a manual transmission. The car came in a standard black that pairs beautifully with its gloss black rims, another trace of the 380 package. The car is the perfect combination of sleek, attractive looks that are also subtle. 

Interior

The interior of this car feels like it punches a weight class above its price. The materials all feel refined and the build quality is sturdy. It comes standard with gorgeous plaid cloth seats, but can be optioned with the less flashy leather. The steering wheel is a perfect thickness for maximum control and feels great in the hand. The new model has caught some flack for the capacitive touch buttons on the wheel as being hard to use, but I have had no issues getting along with this system. Other features include adaptive cruise control, which is my favorite amenity. You set your desired speed and the vehicle will adapt to the traffic in front of you without going over that speed. This makes matching speed in traffic easier than ever. 

The car's digital gauge cluster is my favorite part of the car. It can be configured to show you any combination of info that you desire, all the way from the song currently playing to the temperature of your coolant and engine oil. But the infotainment system in the middle doesn’t move me at all. The screen has Carplay and Android Auto, and everything works as it should, however the integration of the climate controls into the screen can make adjusting the temperature in the cabin quite cumbersome. The sound system is this car's most apparent drawback. I haven’t been able to find the right audio mix yet, as some songs sound crisp and clear while others sound like they are playing underwater. 

The storage capabilities of this car are limited due to its size, but I find the space to be enough for me especially with the seats folded down. For example, I can lay two of the three seats in the back to ensure room for me, my two brothers, and all three of our golf bags. But If you need to move furniture, this car isn’t for you. 

How it drives

I am not the world’s most experienced sports car driver, but I have found that this car is capable of fulfilling most of my amateur racer desires. For a quick daily driver, this engine is a hoot to rev out to the redline. It is a turbocharged 4 cylinder that makes 241 horsepower, with a redline at 6800 rpm. It has plenty of low down torque, 273 lb feet to be exact, available as soon as 1600 rpm. The throttle response is limited due to its boosted nature, but when that boost does deliver, the car tries to rip you forward with as much force as it can muster. The engine sound is more muted than I would like it to be, so in the future I may install an aftermarket exhaust. The car is front wheel drive, which is the biggest downfall of the driving feel. Even with the added summer performance tires, accelerating from a standstill breaks traction very easily so you never get to realize the full potential of the engine.

The optioned transmission for this particular car is VW’s 6 speed manual. I opted for this over the automatic to increase my engagement with the car to create a more enjoyable everyday driving experience. I am a big fan of the optics of the shifter, it sits at a perfect height and the glossy shift knob is a nice accent to the interior. The feel of rowing the gears is good but not great—I would prefer a shifter with a slightly more solid feel. The clutch pedal was relatively easy to get acclimated to, and is light enough for everyday driving as not to tire out your left leg. While I am a fan of this transmission, it is not a must for anyone looking to buy one of these. Not only is the auto easier in everyday traffic, it also makes the car quicker due to the lightning quick nature of a dual clutch transmission. I would still option a manual for the experience, but anyone who doesn't want to learn or doesn’t have the patience for it can still have a blast in the auto.

The steering and the corner feel of this car is good, but more tame than I had initially hoped for when I bought the car. There are multiple factors that affect the feel of a car through a corner, but the biggest of them is the tire on the car. As mentioned earlier, this vehicle came with the 380 package and therefore the summer performance tires. While the rubber compound performs better than an all season ever could, I am still yearning for just a little bit more stickiness. You can’t tell the difference during 95% of your driving, but when I want to push the car to its limit, I want the ceiling to be higher than the current tires can take me. The feel through the steering wheel is where I would expect it to be for a car like this. It loads up in the corners but is still plenty light for everyday driving. Although the suspension is adjustable, I have found that even though it might hinder corner performance slightly, the most convenient setting to leave it in is comfort.

Final Thoughts

All in all, I really enjoy this car and look forward to driving it every single day. I get along with the interior nicely, and have really found how each feature that it offers can have a place in my commute. I make sacrifices in things like storage and ease of everyday driving in order to have the opportunity to drive a fun, sporty, good looking vehicle around each and every day. This car, especially optioned with the manual, is not for the person looking for a ride that will get them from A to B in the most comfortable, vanilla way possible. This car is for car people, those with enthusiast blood coursing through their veins looking to make ever drive the most it can be.

I have owned this car for about 2 months now so when it came up in class that we would be writing a review, I immediately knew what I'd be writing about.