Birch and Banyan | Teen Ink

Birch and Banyan

April 29, 2024
By elsaratner BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
elsaratner BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

From the moment you enter—the place is bustling with people. 


For a quaint cafe in downtown Hartland, there is a lot of traction at Birch and Banyan. The bright red building contrasts with the other businesses in the area, highlighting the uniqueness of the location.


When I went for the first time, I had no expectations. My friends recommended the place to me and I was impartial about the visit. However, as I walked in and laid eyes on the bakery, my adrenaline rushed. For a small business, each delicacy is reasonably priced at about $3-6 dollars. The sandwiches and acai are more expensive, around $10.

Birch offers typical coffee drinks like espresso, lattes, macchiatos, cold brews, and more. Yet, not only are there exotic flavors from Irish cream to Cheyenne, but the possibilities for drink customization are extensive. They also serve frozen coffee that resembles the Starbucks frappuccino and lotus’ which are plant-based energy sodas (not from a can). There is also a variety of teas available.

 

 

Upon trying the hazelnut, blackberry, and raspberry blended coffees, I can’t say they’re my all-time favorites. Ironically, the blended drinks tend to be not-so-well blended. The coffee can be watery with subdued flavors on occasion, and sometimes with weird aftertastes. But, the special flavors add a uniqueness not offered in many places and tend to be better prepared than the more standard ones. In addition, the honey bee latte was spectacular. It had a perfect honey-coffee ratio, though it was less of an exciting drink than the others offered. Overall, the coffee is nothing extravagant, but they are usually well-made.


Though food is not the priority, they serve up to 5 different sandwiches including grilled cheese and two types of acai bowls—peanut butter and fruit. However, the star of the catering aspect is definitely the sweets—many being gluten-free. Brownies, coffee cakes, cake pops, cookies, and biscotti are offered, plus more.


After ordering the grilled cheese (presented in a to-go box, though you can request for it to be heated) I was slightly disappointed. The American cheese was gooey and stringy and balanced well with the (unfortunately) oil-drenched white bread. However, the flavor wasn’t anything spectacular for the price and was rather bland with nothing else on it. The acai bowl was better (though a small portion), with no runny formula that is unfortunately found in other locations. The acai also featured strawberries, blueberries, granola, chia seeds, honey, etc. generously topped on it.


The bakery is much more delectable than the other offerings, though. The salted caramel chocolate chip cookie is baked with perfection—extremely soft and a perfect mix of sweet and salty. The price is fair at $2.50 and definitely worth it. The coffee cake, though a little dry at times, is a decent serving and flavorful as well. 


In addition to the edible portion of the coffee shop, the community and service absolutely compensate for any weak points. The staff is super friendly and always patient. It is easy for conversation to flow in a place where the environment isn’t dead silent, but also quiet enough to get work done. The baristas are always up for a chat, but are efficient and get work done. Because the coffee shop is two floors, there are many seating options including two sectioned-off rooms which add a dose of privacy and professionalism. The only nit-pick about the place is the stairs, which are super narrow and could serve as a hazard to those who don’t watch their step. Otherwise, the environment is perfect for any purpose, whether you’re studying for a final or want to catch up with friends.

 

I have visited this location time and time again, despite a few dissatisfying aspects. The bakery especially is understated, despite its consistency and tastefulness. I’d consider giving the place a try, as it attracts a considerable and frequent fanbase due to the energy as well as the coffee.