Fireside poets | Teen Ink

Fireside poets

By Shalon Polite-Rivers BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
Shalon Polite-Rivers BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia

Fireside Poets Writing Assignment
From the literary period 1800 to 1860 was known as the Romantic Literary Period. The
Romantic Literary Period is more than a classical love story; instead it focuses on nature and other elements such as inspiration, intuition, imagination, and inner experience. During the Romantic Literary Period three poems, written by the famous Fireside Poets, share the same perspective on the theme of death. “Thanatopsis” by William Cullen Bryant, “The Tide Rises, The Tide Falls” by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and “A Psalm of Life” by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow all share the common theme of death by describing the aspects of death, usage of symbols involving death, and emphasizing the value of life.
In the first poem “Thanatopsis” by William Cullen Bryant, the common theme of death
is conveyed when Bryant described the aspects of death. In the poem “Thanatopsis”, Bryant describes the dark gloomy side of death. Bryant uses great detail for describing the agony and horror that death entails. For example, the author mentions “And Breathless darkness, and the narrow house” (Bryant 12) when describing the powerful images of suffocating in a coffin. Secondly, in the poem “Thanatopsis”, Bryant describes the glories of afterlife. Bryant believes that the deceased will not go to their resting place alone as he employs,
Thou shalt lie down
With patriarchs of the infant world-- with kings,
The powerful earth--the wise, the good,
Fair forms, and hoary seers of ages past,
All in one mighty sepulcher
(Bryant 33-36). The gloomy tone alters as the reader is now comforted and has a feeling of relief about death. Lastly, Bryant explains how nature is considered to be a healer in relation to death. In the poem the author refers to nature as a human figure as he asserts that nature “speaks” (Bryant 2) to him providing “healing sympathy” (Bryant 7) and comfort. Nature’s ability to be equivalent to a nurturing and loving human helps to heal and also eliminates the fear that one may feel towards death. The aspects of death give the reader hope that death is not just terrifying.
In the second poem “The Tide Rises, The Tide Falls” by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow,
the common theme death is portrayed with the use of symbols. Author Longfellow uses a tide to symbolize life still proceeding after death. For example, in the poem Longfellow constantly states that “And the tide rises, the tide falls” (Longfellow 5) after each stanza emphasizing the significance of birth and death. Moreover, after the traveler in the poem has died the tide continues to rise and fall. Another example of death used in a symbol is the waves washing away the footprints in the sand that belonged to the traveler. As the traveler in the poem is walking along the shore, the waves from the tide “Efface the footprints in the sand” (Longfellow 5) erasing the existence of the traveler. Bryant uses this symbolization once more to further describe how life continues after death. Lastly, in the poem “The Tide Rises, The Tide Falls” death is symbolized by the days and nights. Author Longfellow incorporates the times of day when he says “Darkness settles on roofs and walls, / But the sea, in the darkness calls: / The little waves, with their soft, white hands (Longfellow 6). This quote describes how death is coming soon and life is being reborn. Longfellow conveys how life and time does not stop after someone dies. The symbol used to represent death give the reader a further understanding of death.
In the third poem “A Psalm of Life” by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow the common
theme death is manifested by emphasizing the value of ones life. Author Longfellow feels that life is important and should be lived to the fullest. For example, in the poem “A Psalm of Life” the author states “Life is real! Life is earnest!” (Longfellow 5) which suggests that one should take their life seriously and live their life to the fullest. Making the most of life entails a life that is not focused upon death. Secondly, Longfellow suggests one should value their life by being a leader. For example, everyday people should strive to not “Be like dumb, driven cattle” (Longfellow 19) and march to the beat of someone else’s drum; instead one should strive to be their own leader. Being a leader in life leads to a more valued and honored life. Third, Longfellow strongly advocates that in order for one to value their life they need to live in the now. Longfellow suggests that living in the future or worrying about the past is not important as he states “Act, --act in the living Present” (Longfellow 23) and attention should only be focused on pursuing a promising life. Valuing life allows one to make better choices to avoid death.
In conclusion, “Thanatopsis” by William Cullen Bryant, “The Tide Rises, The Tide
Falls” by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and “A Psalm of Life” by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow share the common theme of death but also interpret the theme in different ways. However, all three of these poems written by the famous fireside poets describe to readers the value of life. Death is not subjected to being a horrible thing. Death should be considered when concerning one’s personal life. These poems strongly imply that one shouldn’t take anything that they have for granted during their time living.