Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death Speech | Teen Ink

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death Speech

May 17, 2018
By vivienpoche BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
vivienpoche BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Patrick Henry conveys his purpose to incite the colonists to fight for their independence against the British in his “Speech in the Virginia Convention” by using parallelism and rhetorical questions. Henry wants to convince the colonists to go to war by using parallelism with the persuasive of facts (logos) and emotion (pathos). In his fifth paragraph, he argues that they have already tried many methods to become independent, and all have failed. Applying logos, Henry appeals with facts of failed attempts when he says, “We have petitioned; we have remonstrated; we have supplicated; we have prostrated ourselves before the throne ...”(204). He then relates that the British have ignored all of their attempts, so their only choice now is to fight. As he then applies pathos to his speech, he turns to their emotions by stating that they will not be fighting alone because God will be on their side. He asks why they are waiting and states that the time is right now. His impassioned closing strongly persuades as he concludes with, “I know not what course others may take; but, as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”(206). His use of parallelism at the end of this quote strengthens his purpose and stirs up the revolution.


In addition to parallelism, Henry also strengthens his message of liberty by including rhetorical questions that encourage the colonists to think as he provides answers using three persuasive techniques: logos, ethos, and pathos. Henry uses logical reasoning when he answers the question, “Has Great Britain any enemy, in this quarter of the world, to call for all this accumulation of navies and armies? No, sir, she has none. They are meant for us; they can be meant for no other”(204). His intent here is to show that the only reason British ships are in nearby waters is that they are ready to rule the colonists by force if necessary. He then moves to ethos to show his sincerity and good character when he asks, “Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance, by lying supinely on our backs, and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power”(Henry 205). His belief that God will help them win and even get “friends” or other countries to fight for their side emphasizes his religious faith. Again, his speech speaks loudest as Henry uses pathos to stir up emotions and says the final words, “Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”(206). Patrick Henry was a true patriot who wanted the country to be free from British Rule; however, he had to use different techniques to convince the authorities and the colonists that independence had to be won. Henry believed that this was the time stand up for their freedom once and for all.