To Kill a Mockingbird | Teen Ink

To Kill a Mockingbird

By berendonmez BRONZE, Istanbul, Other
berendonmez BRONZE, Istanbul, Other

“Atticus, he was real nice."

"Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them.”

This book is difficult and easy to read at times.Since my main language is not english i sometimes had to read the summaries before i went along with the next chapter.I'm 15 years old and i'm aware of many things that this book tries to show us such as racism.The main characters dad,Atticus Finch is a lawyer and he defends a black man since no lawyer has the courage to do so.Scout(Main Character) and his brother Jem receives numerous insults about their father being a “nigger lover”.Scout understands why Atticus is doing such thing by asking him.
He says to Scout many times, if he did not defend this man, he could never tell Jem or her (Scout) not to do something. He has to set a good example for his children and if he expects them to do something or follow certain values, then he must display them first

The book continues with lots of adventures of Scout and his brother Jem and their beloved friend Dill.Since Scout is like a tomboy she enjoys spending time with boys.Like every neighbour they have this creepy house and a creepy family.Arthur Radley, who is the man that Scout feared was a victim of peoples accusations.Throughout the book Scout, Jem and Dill tries to see Arthur and what he looks like but they never succeed.At the end of the book jt turns out Arthur was very different from what they predicted.

Let's get to my favourite part of the book.Fortunately Scout and Jem secretly goes to the court where Atticus will be attending for Tom Robinson’s(the black man) trial.We get to see what lies can someone say to bring someone innocent down and what Atticus says to defend what he think its right with so much confidence.The whole town is against him but he does what he think is right.Since Tom doesn’t stand a chance against a white persons accusations he doesnt have any hope.According to the book usually is takes 5 minutes for the judges to decide whether they belive in white mans word or a black mans word.Obviously they go with the white man.Scout:”Tom was a dead man the minute Mayella Ewell opened her mouth and screamed”

Atticus is good at what he does so he has hope.We see that he has good points while defending Tom Robinson.After the trial suprisingly the judges couldnt verdict fastly as normal.That was a bog step for Atticus but it wasnt enough for Tom Robinson even if Atticus told him that they had a good chance of winnin

I really recommend this book it is a classic and it is very entertaining too.This book gives us a chance to see the unfairness in the world from a child’s point of view and how they react to it.You’ll see that prejudicing is not a good and a right thing.This books makes us see that sometimes some opinions and predictions may be wrong even if everyone thinks the other way and how we must defend the right thing even if it is not right for other people.

Favourite Quote:
“Atticus, he was real nice."

When i read this book i can say that i was deeply affected.I realized that i was looking to some issues like racism with different aspects,i understood how hope can help us realize our goals.I think i am so lucky to have read this book at this age(I'm 15).Thanks for reading my article and i hope to write many things and deliver you my thoughts.