The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck | Teen Ink

The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck

By yvnglupita SILVER, Sacramento, California
yvnglupita SILVER, Sacramento, California

"why live in your head when you can say it out loud"

Mark Manson is a blogger.A star that is.A blogger with a past that smells of alchohal and ciggerettes.He gives us the truth of living the “normality” of life and gives us raw advice that everyone fears of hearing just because it’s the truth.The truth holds weight ,alot of it, and not everyone can handle it except those who have reached the bottom of the barrel.His whole life he hasn’t given any effort into anything and it seemed to have worked out in the most extraordinary way.He has sold thousands of copies of all his books,make millions if money, and has found the love of his life.How has he come to it?By not caring.

“THE SUBTLE ART OF NOT GIVING A F*CK” is about facing the “talk” that every adult dreads of hearing because it’s the truth.The truth holds weight.Lots of it.We’re all afraid of it and avoid it by pretending to be happy or try to take matters into our own hands or even bring back the past because it made us happy, made us comfortable.We grow up thinking that the way of life is to be positive and open minded to the possibillities.But what if that’s the way to failure to some?Not everyone is good underpressure ,most crack.So people fall back ,lay loose for a while and keep going about life as if it’s a peice of cake.Surprisingly ,they manage to get the best of life ,how you may ask.They know their limitations ,they have made peace with the past ,and they accept their mistakes.They have a vision of what they want their life to be for next years so they focus on that one thing ,they become determined and everything that seems that could ruin it gets no attention.

“The desire for more positive experience is itself a negative experience. And, paradoxically, the acceptance of one's negative experience is itself a positive experience.” This quote is the base of what the book revolves around. Sometimes the positive is the negative and the negative is the positive.Someone can easily say they want the most of this and alot of that to make themselves feel accomplished but do nothing but sit all day watching cartoons and eating cheese puffs on their couch, or as I said earlier one can put their desire effort into what keeps them moving and what they have a passion for.

To me this book is an eye opener.I constantly spend everyday packing pressure ontop of yesterdays pressure.I always thought thinking positive and doing things the right way was the only way.After reading this I have it all wrong.Especially when it comes to leaving the past in the past because sometimes it’s stronger and it’s the easy way to go back to when everything was ok.But that can be known as a weak move ,a move you don’t want to make.A move that brings you to a cross road,left or right.Don’t go right.Go left.